C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me plan my Procharged 350 project (Part1-bottom end)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 01:02 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Help me plan my Procharged 350 project (Part1-bottom end)

Hey guys, well this will be my first engine build, although I have done some minor stuff like a cam, intake, and soon a change of heads on my current ('77 L48) engine. I've been asking friends, reading Smokey's book, and reading what I can find online. I know there's alot of experienced people here, so I hope you can help me out!

Here's some of my general ideas for the project: It all started when I got a 2-bolt virgin (unbored, unmessed with) '78 block for $20. Rotating assembly was included too, but it is all factory cast so I have no need for it. I want to make some serious power and use an ATI Procharger centrifugal supercharger to get there (P-1SC or D-1SC). I would like some high RPMs, but nothing extreme, maybe 7500? That alone would be enough for me to figure out, but here's the kicker, I want it on the street. I drive cross country and in traffic, it is a daily driver (and will stay that way). This also needs to be as budget as possible (don't laugh :lol: )

So far I am thinking about: Scat 4340 forged crank (normal weight), Scat H-beam rods, JE forged (Nitrous?) pistons. I don't have alot of money to dump into the trick lightweight parts, but I will not skimp on the important things. All bolts will be the best. I think I will need to 4-bolt splay this block also.

1. What do you think of my choices? Scat seems to be a good, reasonably priced company. What pistons do I need exactly?

2. What little modifications can I do to these parts? I also intend to balance/blueprint everything. Is there casting flash to remove or minor modifications to the block I can do? What little things like valley screens are worthwhile?

3. Know of any C3s with centrifugal S/Cs? Links would be very helpful. I read that the D-1sc doesn't fit without a hood bubble.

Thanks alot, I will keep you all updated as I research more, and as I get into it this summer. I will ask again soon about the top end when I look more into that. Thanks everybody.
-Chris
Old 04-01-2004, 12:11 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help me plan my Procharged 350 project (LiveandLetDrive)

ttt
Old 04-01-2004, 01:53 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have looked at your post and your profile and it takes money to build a good blown motor. I spent $9000 after starting with a good fresh bigblock just changing the setup for the blower.
It is not cheap and being a 19 year old student you can get financially over your head before you know it.
That is a project that is better left until you have graduated and are making money plus have a daily driver. :cheers:
Old 04-01-2004, 02:09 PM
dsagers
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Caution: SPAM

Here is a blower short block I'm selling, but its a little bigger than 350 CI
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2465698890
Old 04-01-2004, 03:20 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help me plan my Procharged 350 project (norvalwilhelm)

I'm not doing it all at once, I am fully aware that this will take well over a year. And lacking any other real expenses, pretty much all of the money I earn working will go into this project, except what goes to other modifications I'm doing on a shorter time-frame.

Sorry I don't nearly have the money to buy that shortblock from you! I like SBC anyway ;)

btw, with Scat 4340 crank, H-beam rods, JE Pistons. I'm looking to spend about $1500 on the bottom end, that doesn't seem that bad. I could earn that in a month making a mere $8/hr full time. I know there will be costs I haven't anticipated yet, but I'm in no rush, I can handle the costs as they happen.

Any ideas where I should work this summer to make some good $$? I hear construction pays well, I'm willing to work hard.

-Chris
Old 04-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

I think you will end up needing a 4 bolt main, 7,500rms plus a blower will quickly find the weak link in any motor. Also you didn't state what heads you plan to run? You'll need a nice set of aftermarket heads that flow well for 7,500rpms. Also the higher the redline the more cam duration and the less streetability. It's hard enough to reach your goals on a budget much less for it to be streetable AND yourt daily driver.

You also have to factor end what tranny you will run, the stocker will not hold up long. Also the same with the rear end?

I'm NOT trying to squash your plans, but rather giving you an idea of what lies ahead. I feel your pain I'm a college student as well it IS hard. :yesnod:

:cheers:
Old 04-01-2004, 05:02 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help me plan my Procharged 350 project (Corey 68)

7500 isn't really necessary. I expect peak power will be a ways below that, as it needs to be street-friendly. I just want it to be strong enough to last, so I was purposely overshooting my needs. I will get it 4-bolt splayed, that seems to be required.

I was going to bring up top-end parts in another post, but might as well do it here. I plan to go with aluminum heads, AFR 195s were my initial (uneducated) choice. Compared to Brodix they look cheap, but there are others like Dart Pro-1 in similar price ranges. AFRs seem to be "THE" head to go with, but I don't know if that's hype or real quality. I do know their exhaust flow numbers are very good, which is what a blower needs. Also I might need over 195s, but again I don't know.

It will of course be a full roller, for streetability and performance. I plan to use a relatively short duration and higher LSA, am I right in thinking this will bleed off less boost by having less overlap? Also I think the blower will make the power higher up, so a cam oriented for lower RPMs will give me a good broad power range. I am getting a grasp on the shortblock now, but the valvetrain is still a little beyond me. Anyone know if a stud girdle is necessary?

Chris

Edit: Any comments on tolerances for a high HP engine? Bearings?

[Modified by LiveandLetDrive, 4:05 PM 4/1/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Help me plan my Procharged 350 project (Part1-bottom end)

Quick Reply: Help me plan my Procharged 350 project (Part1-bottom end)