C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 07:14 PM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another exhaust question

I'm replacing the complete exhaust on my 1974 LS-4 coupe. Hooker headers have already arrived, courtesy of a forum member. Who do you recommend for a good 2 1/2" system with an H-pipe and reasonable sounding mufflers and why? Standard pipe, aluminized pipe, or stainless? I don't want straight through mufflers, ince as I grow older it seems that I appreciate a good growl but not a loud racket. Using the local pipe benders really isn't an option, as out here in the country, the biggest concern seems to be how cheap it can be done, not whether the quality is there or not.

I've seen systems listed through most of the major vendors, as well as Allen's and a few others. I recognize that I'll likely have to have a shop add the H-pipe, and maybe connect the headers. I'm looking for what others have succesfully used. Thanks! :seeya

Steve
Old 04-01-2004, 09:25 AM
L82-JWS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another exhaust question (Steve's74)

On my 79, installed Heddmen headers and Heddmen X-pipe. Got X pipe kit from Summit. Installed Xpipe after crossmember. Had local shop bend a few 2.5 pipes to make it all fit. I am using Flowmaster 50's. Some prefer the 40's, but I didnt want too loud. Happy with the 50's. I use all aluminzied pipe, cost factor. You can do the install yourself....Headers are relatively easy, go from bottom.....I do need to have the exhaust welded, its clamped at moment. Dont know if that will work for you?

Quick Reply: Another exhaust question