C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lead additive

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 06:51 PM
1970LT1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lead additive

Thinking of going to a lead additive for the gas of my 70' vette with a 350 ci, 370 hp, 11:1 compression ratio engine to help boost the performance. What do think? Which product? From where? Thanks, Paul
Old 03-31-2004, 07:27 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Lead additive (1970LT1)

Lead additives DO NOT boost performance. They inhibit knocking/pinging. If your motor is running fine as-is, adding lead or increasing octane rating will do zip. :cheers:
Old 03-31-2004, 09:05 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Lead additive (Mike Ward)

:iagree: But even so, since you're running 11:1 compression, you can probably use the octane. Do a google search for TEL or Tetra Ethyl Lead & you'll find plenty of different brands of additives. I doubt there's much difference between them since the TEL is the active ingredient in them all. Here's one to get you started: http://www.kemcooil.com/products.php?cId=4

JB
Old 03-31-2004, 09:29 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Lead additive (JB)

Jack Podell the Fuel Injection expert has real TEL listed in his ads. My stock 70 LT-1 ran better with a 20-30% mix of leaded Unocal 76 110 octane but, I guess NASCAR went to Sunoco this year. I think Unocal still makes race gas, check your phone book or local engine shops for sources. One last fact, it is illegal to put a lead additve into a street driven vehicle nowadays. I sold the LT-1 because it made me sick to my stomach to drive a 54K mile survivor on the road, in Californina, I thought at any minute a "new citizen" without a drivers license would "blow" a stop sign and hit me (I kinda funny that way, my 72 LT-1 has been repainted but is still a good car, just not totally original, a Vette can only be that once.)

Get notified of new replies

To Lead additive

Quick Reply: Lead additive