C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep the original parts or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Keep the original parts or not?

OK, three months ago I purchased my numbers matching, nearly all original '74 LS-4 automatic coupe. The car has been sitting for 10 years and everything needs attention. Nearly every problem discussed here is needing attention. And then some. Fortunately there is little rust. Currently the top end is off the 454 because the last Bubba to work on it decided to "adjust" the hydrualic valves and managed to bend all of the intake valves and pushrods. Repairs are underway. My ultimate intention is to do a complete frame off rebuild, but I'm trying to get it street drivable so that I can enjoy it while I map out the directions to go in the rebuild. It will be rebuilt my way, not restored, as there are many improvements I want to do. Sorry NCRS. Here's the question.

As I remove various parts and/or assemblies and "improve" the car with new ones, should I bag, preserve and retain the old units in the event that I would ever resell the car and someone wants to "restore" it back original? Or should I offer them up for sale to help underwrite some of the cost of my "improvements"? Note that the car is in terrible shape, but pretty much numbers matching original in every way, and a lot of components that I will replace will still be viable for someone else.

As an example, I will be installing headers in place of the factory exhaust manifolds when the heads go back on. The A.I.R. system will also not be going back on. So I have decent manifolds and A.I.R. parts left over. The cost of replacement units available from vendors is a bit stunning to me, so there is likely some value in my originals to the right person. But if I sell them, restoring the car will be extremely difficult if not impossible. So..... what do you think? Vote away!

Steve

:lurk:
Old 03-31-2004, 05:02 PM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Keep the original parts or not? (Steve's74)

If you do a nice job refreshing your vette I don't know that boxes of parts will add that much to the value of your vette if you decide to sell it. If the money for the sale of the parts will make it easier to make the car what you want it to be then sell them. If you don't need the money to offset your cost then there is no harm in keeping them.

I have nearly completely disasembled my '74 LS4 (I didn't need to take the body off) if you need any help or pictures of something Email me.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:14 PM
CWUin82
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thought on this is, if you don't have to water of feed it and have the room to store the stuff, stash it away. :chevy
Old 03-31-2004, 06:18 PM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Keep the original parts or not? (GATOR454)

Thanks for the reply, Gator454. I'm personally leaning in that direction, but was curious to see if anyone had any good reasons to keep the parts. I'm also interested in seeing everyone's vote.

I'll likely be taking you up on your offer, as some things are broken or not installed correctly, and it would be useful to see photos on some items. :yesnod: Thanks.

Steve
Old 03-31-2004, 06:47 PM
JohnS_77
Melting Slicks

If you have the room, I'd say keep them.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:57 PM
Brown78
Burning Brakes

I have on the floor of my shop these parts. The complete drive train for a "78" L-82. and all the accessories. I thought about building a all stock "78" But. thats alot of work plus the time involved. :banghead: I've started to sell the stock parts to friends only. Good luck with your choise. :seeya Steve
Old 03-31-2004, 07:43 PM
mfgaffney
Instructor

Are you sure you can register the car w/o AIR? Anyway i have a 74 coupe, which was all original and i kept the stuff I pulled off and replaced. I think you should keep most everything you pull off.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:21 PM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Keep the original parts or not? (mfgaffney)

Technically, according to the Virginia inspection requirements, no. But inspection shops are privately owned repair facilities in Virginia, and most of the mechanics don't even know what AIR is. So I don't believe I'll have a problem. But you are correct in that it is required to pass inspection.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:48 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The AIR manifolds make nice framework for the spiders to form their webs on! My LT-1's are up in the attic and have probably been home to at least 18 generations of Black Widows by now (Heh! Heh!)
Old 03-31-2004, 09:54 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Keep the original parts or not? (Solid LT1)

I'm selling a lot of my original '77 parts. '77 parts aren't all that valuable, they take up a lot space in the garage, my #'s matching block is shot, and the car will be so modified by the time I'm done, I doubt anyone would want to put it back to stock. So to me, they're money in my pocket. A '74 LS-4 is probably more valuable, and if you only want to modify a few things, then I'd say keep them. If you're in a situation like me though, I'd say sell 'em :cheers:
Old 03-31-2004, 10:43 PM
R 73 454
Racer

SELL IT!!! I"LL TAKE THE VALVE COVERS!!! :flag :p:
Old 03-31-2004, 11:04 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

Save and store the stuff! :beatdeadhorse:
Old 03-31-2004, 11:45 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Keep the original parts or not? (Ryan77)

I'm selling a lot of my original '77 parts. '77 parts aren't all that valuable, they take up a lot space in the garage,
That was the thought process in the 70's...no one gave two blips about restoration and saving original parts...if only those peeps had saved their parts, they'd be rich men today....not to mention their cars would be worth thousands upon thousands above the nicely detailed, modified vette.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:05 AM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Keep the original parts or not? (GDaina)

GDaina, that's exactly where the real question lies. I know what happened to C1 and C2 cars in the '70s and '80s, and no one back then thought there would be any value to the cars. At some point, someone may actually want to restore the later C3s. Part of the reason for purchasing a '74 was that it could be had for a bit less than the earlier cars, and I don't feel quite as bad about modifications. But there is a part of me that is saying "preserve the pieces for future generations".

So far it looks like the "save the whales" group is ahead, which surprises me. Apparently, many others believe the future could hold a restoration. This is what I wanted to know. Keep voting! :seeya

Steve
Old 04-01-2004, 04:14 AM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Keep the original parts or not? (R 73 454)

R 73 454, I can't let you have the valve covers! I believe that it was Jughead who restored the original units on his. I'm with him - there's nothing quite like opening the hood and seeing those big orange covers shining at you.......

Oh, and by the way guys, set the parts on fire....? :eek: Goodness, some of you have some violent tendancies around here.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:33 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

I voted to keep but in my case I plan on keeping my 73 for a long time so I just wanna sell off my original stuff.

cylinder heads
intake and exhaust manifolds
ignition shielding
valve covers
air compressor and lines
th400

anyone interested?

[Modified by Jvette73, 5:34 AM 4/1/2004]
Old 04-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save em. They WILL be more valuable in the future. As parts...and as an option for the cars resale as original.
Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To Keep the original parts or not?

Old 04-01-2004, 08:15 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Keep the original parts or not? (Silvr77)

Sell them, put the cash in your pocket now. When it comes time to sell your car very few people will be willing to pay more for the modified car because you have a box of old parts. So why just give them the box of parts to sell?

What I see happening is that a potential "restorer" buyer of your modified car will think your selling price is too high, because they will not want the car in the condition it's in. They will, of course, expect you to include the old parts in the purchase price, even though they will probably remove your modifications and sell them...... It's all a game. However, us "average" guys will like your modifications, and think of them as improvements, rather than defilements. So be happy, sell your parts at top dollar to the NCRS guys and smile a lot.....

[Modified by KenSny, 8:42 AM 4/1/2004]
Old 04-01-2004, 10:39 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Keep the original parts or not? (KenSny)

I can't believe I'm not getting more votes!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:53 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Keep the original parts or not? (KenSny)

sell your parts at top dollar to the NCRS guys and smile a lot.....
[Modified by KenSny, 8:42 AM 4/1/2004]
Actually it will be the NCRS guys doing the smiling....the NCRS guy will buy those parts, replace the non factory items, and instantly add thousands to the value of the car. The moment NCRS judges a model year, the value of that vette increases dramatically, and every year after that, the value just increases.

There are two camps at work here...originality/numbers matching vs. modified...also this has to be considered in the equation...NCRS judging and a newbie vette buyer, size of the buyer's market....I think I am correct in stating that the larger segment of the buying market consists of guys who lean towards originality and the newby. The newby hears numbers matching, originality, though he has no clue, but he bases his buying decision on that, and in more cases will pass on a non original car. After all, he is basing his decision on a part time driver, part time investment...can he get his money out of the car if he decides to sell at a later date. The odds are in his favor that he can, and with a larger market, he will.
The moment NCRS judges a model year, the value of that vette increases dramatically. You may not think your model year has any value, don't dilute yourself with such foolish thoughts...you should look at the for sale section that is run in the NCRS publication.....the prices will amaze you, and the guys are getting what they ask....not on modified rides, but on numbers matching.

It is easy to save the parts and restore back to original when the time comes to sell.

Mine is numbers matching, sort of....I have a 68, L-89, 650+ were produced...original motor and tranny are safely bagged. Should I desire to sell in the future, think I will get more if I sell as is with a 533 cube BB and 5 speed? I would have to search long and hard for that one buyer that will want this combo...or do you think I will be able to sell it faster and get more sales $$$$$ if I advertise as a factory original, numbers matching 427, 435 horse, tri power, factory aluminum heads, and numbers matching 4 speed?

I think you know the answer to that question.....peeps would be banging on my door, and the line would be a mile long...granted, my 68 is a unique and desireable model, but the analogy is not that far fetched from reality when comparing your ride to mine.

Quick Reply: Keep the original parts or not?