C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody rebuilt their steering box?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 12:25 AM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anybody rebuilt their steering box?

I finally got mine adjusted back to normal after my goof a couple of months back...but I've drawn my attention in the process to how sloppy it is. There's a lot of play in the steering even after maximum lash adjustment to the pitman arm gear, so do I correctly assume I'm looking at a rebuild? If so, I note that the FAQ has a pictorial run-through. Has anyone got an experience to share with where they bought parts, how much they cost, and any pitfalls to watch out for in a rebuild?

I've read and re-read Jim Shea's wisdom at corvettefaq (AFTER my initial folley :bb ). The job doesn't look too tough...my 36 year old unit has seen better days, and I'd hope to see as much improvement in steering slop as I did with shift slop when I tore out my worn-out stock shifter and transplanted a shiney new (never did find a satisfactory used one) Hurst competition plus shifter :cool: .

I await your collective wisdom...

-Roy

[Modified by Grinchia, 11:26 PM 3/30/2004]
Old 03-31-2004, 08:39 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Anybody rebuilt their steering box? (Grinchia)

I found the major problem was the pitman arm bushings. Mine car is a very low mileage car and it still had .006 clearance between the bushings and the arm. You want less then .001.
I completely dismantled the box, polished the pitman arm and made custom bushings.
You can buy replacement bushings but it still leaves about .003 play. Still too much.
I bought bronze bushing blanks and with very little cleanup installed them in the box but on the tight side then honed for a perfect pitman arm fit. I wanted the clearance less then .001 or a slight drag when the shaft was installed.
Also the end play is very critical so a new washer was found/made to reduce end play.
I installed new bearings, race and seals.
To just replace the bearings and seals to me is a waste.
All pitman arm shaft play must be eliminated.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:59 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anybody rebuilt their steering box? (norvalwilhelm)

Sadly Lars, I don't own a machine shop :nonod: ...loved the pictures of yours you pasted last week though :yesnod: . If I pulled the box and dragged it down to the local machine shop, what do you think would be a reasonable cost for them to custom fit some new bushings in the manner you describe? Are they likely to have bronze stock on hand, or will I have to obtain that myself? Where did you get yours? (sorry about the zillion questions).

My dilemma is that I've been garaged/apart all winter, and just finally had her out for the first drive of the year with my winter mods (new Hurst, new TTII16x8s, new VBP brakes, new carb,etcetcetc.), and I don't want to pull the steering box and be stuck for weeks. I'd like to get all the parts I need in advance and do it some evening or weekend so I can get right back on the road!

-Roy

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody rebuilt their steering box?

Quick Reply: Anybody rebuilt their steering box?