C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear spindel question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 11:02 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear spindel question

ok i took the advice of some of the forum members and after i pressed the whell bearings off i used emory cloth and made it so the bearings slip on and off with a little effort, however i did get one of them a little to big i think, it kinda falls into place a little to easy i think. so how easy should they be able to slip on and the second question is should i greese the spindel under where the wheel bearing is? because wouldnt that allow the bearing to spin easier on the spindel--then again what kind of damage would it do if i didnt put greese there? and if i didnt ever file them down how did greese get under the bearings when you press them back on- wouldnt it just push it? thanks for the help. :banghead:
Old 03-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: rear spindel question (gravismaximus)

Whoever told you to make the bearings a slip fit did not do you a favour. GM changed them from a slip fit to press fit in the early 60's for a very good reason.

The idea of the press fit is to be 100% sure that they never turn on the spindle. Failure is guaranteed shortly after they start to spin. :shocked:
Old 03-31-2004, 12:01 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I understand you correctly, you took a little off the spindle (or the bearing)so you wouldn't have to press the bearings on again with a 42 ton press. This is pretty common among us Vetters (and a source of spirited discussion I see). Don't put any grease between the bearing "race" and the spindle. The grease goes inside the bearing and all over the place between the two bearings, if you want. Take a look at this picture - what is important is the bearing preload spacer between the inner and the outer bearings and the torque you put on the spindle nut. The spacer must allow less than .008 in. of movement of the spindle. If it's greater than this, you need to adjust the shim(s) between the bearings. This will ensure that the bearings are properly positioned.

Good luck -

[Modified by Z-man, 10:02 PM 3/30/2004]

[Modified by Z-man, 10:06 PM 3/30/2004]
Old 03-31-2004, 12:08 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: rear spindel question (Mike Ward)

Gravis Maximus Mistakeus
Old 03-31-2004, 07:10 AM
gravismaximus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: rear spindel question (wombvette)

well, looks like im the ginnie pig here, i wont put any greese on the spindle and put it back te same way i found it and let you all know if it messes up my spindels. and hopfuly itll be gravis maximus rightious :_dupe:
Old 03-31-2004, 08:41 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I press both bearings on, but there are a lot of guys that use a slip fit on the inner bearing. If you have a sloppy fit on both bearings,save yourself time and money and buy a new spindle or spindles,They cost about $130-$150 from a vendor. I can check my supplier and maybe get them for you for $115 if you want. Save the old spindle becasue you now have setup tools for the new spindles. Let me know if you need help,I rebuild this for our club and friends.
Gary
Old 03-31-2004, 09:01 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: rear spindel question (gtr1999)

Whoever told you to make the bearings a slip fit did not do you a favour. GM changed them from a slip fit to press fit in the early 60's for a very good reason.
The idea of the press fit is to be 100% sure that they never turn on the spindle. Failure is guaranteed shortly after they start to spin.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:iagree: Thats how you let air into the braking system. The point of having the bearing pressed on the spindle is so that it stays true in the center of the bearing support. Once you slip fit a bearing your allowing it to not run true in the center of the bearing support giving it some wobble. Now your letting the spindle ride on a slight angle and by doing this your putting excess pressure on the bearings causing hot spots in the bearings. This is what causes bearing to fail and this can also cause spun races in the support. So now by making things so easier, your out a spindle and possibly a support. Most people who use slip fit are maintaining them and keeping an eye on them. We do not recommend slip fits.

Old 03-31-2004, 09:42 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: rear spindel question (Van Steel)

Hi, A bit of a question, I fully understand the press fit bearings on the rear spindle and the need to keep things in "spec" but could anyone explain how the front wheel bearings are so seemingly trouble free in comparison, could it be that is so because the fronts arent stressed as much as the rears ( by being driven ) or ?????????? . I have owned quite a few Corvettes and done a few rear bearing jobs on them some the press way and some the "slip fit" way, I keep on top of things as far as maintenance, preventative as well as scheduled, so whats the advantages of either way. Yep, this has been discussed here before, but which is the better way??
See ya, Bye, Peace Craig :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To rear spindel question

Quick Reply: rear spindel question