C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First real drive with new brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 07:49 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default First real drive with new brakes.

I finally got a chance to get out for a short test drive today. Just a few miles up and down the road. Never got above 45.

First impression is the brakes work well. The pedal is firm and everything feels solid. There is some improvement over the stock brakes, but not very much. Maybe if I had power brakes it would be different. Looks like this turned out to be one of those 'wow factor' projects.

When I pulled back into the driveway, I started having another problem. The car started running really rough as though it were about out of gas. This went on for a while and the car eventually died. I went to restart it and just a click. I replaced the battery (because I am stupid) and noticed another problem. The + cable end was loose on the cable and slightly melted. Also, the end had broken so there was only a large hole where the bolt went through. On top of all that, I am pretty sure the alternator is shot (which is why the car died, duh). Now I have to get a new alternator whenever I can afford it. And I can't decide whether I want to replace the entire battery cable or just the end.

Maybe I will get to drive it someday. I swear, if it is not one thing it is another.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:09 PM
motown 71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: First real drive with new brakes. (70 LS1)

Hang in there man......
It'll be worth the wait :smiliedrool:
Old 03-30-2004, 09:40 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain! I replaced my differential. The old one was howling, vibrating, and binding. While I was at it I decided to replace the Ujoints. I bent a flange in the process and had to buy a replacement as well as a new Ujoint for that location. Now I am still hunting down the vibration because apparently it was not caused by the diff, but at least the howling and binding stopped.
So I have the drive shaft out of the car going to the balancing shop and have dropped the caps off those Ujoints enough times to lose some needle bearings and get dirt in them so I'll have to get 2 MORE ujoints. Isn't this FUN? At least we can come here to commiserate AND have the coolest looking cars on the block sitting on jackstands in the garage! :D
Old 03-30-2004, 10:09 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: First real drive with new brakes. (isosceles)

...AND have the coolest looking cars on the block sitting on jackstands in the garage!
That is exactly how I feel. It seems like when I save up enough money to do something to the car, something more important always comes up. It took me a year to do the brakes and now that they are done, I can't even drive the car. Sometimes I just want to give up.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Jeff,
That's how I'm getting with my car. It never ran right last summer and finally spun a rod bearing 4th of July. The car was down all summer. Now everyone is bringing their cars out for spring and mine still isn't done. Maybe another month... Once it's up and running, I swear, I'm not going to mess with it. (Yeah, right. That should last at least a week.)

I'm glad to hear that the brakes finally worked out.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:18 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

jeff dont give up,all i had to do last week was buff the car out after repaint rear clip,now im painting the whole car over after cracking the front fender.Youll get it done and be back on the road to enjoy it. :yesnod:
Old 03-31-2004, 02:06 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know how you are feeling :rolleyes: I fired up my motor after intalling the FI to find out my radiator needed repaired/replaced and the battery was dead :banghead:

Get notified of new replies

To First real drive with new brakes.

Quick Reply: First real drive with new brakes.