C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenence Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 04:32 PM
mastromi
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenence Questions

I currently own a 1980 L48 4spd.

1. I want to drain the radiator coolant. Is there an accesable engine block coolant drain plug somewhere? I found one on the passanger side, but it isn't real accesible. There is also a seperate drain plug for the radiator.

2. On the rear dif, i need to change the fluid. What is the easist way to do that because there appears to be no drain plug, only a filler plug in the back of the dif?

THANKS
mike
Old 03-30-2004, 04:58 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: Maintenence Questions (mastromi)

Unless you're switching to a new type of coolant it's not necessary to drain the engine........you can flush it though. Normally, I just drain the radiator, flush, then refill. ;)

ON the diff, unless the '80 models are different - the plug should be on the side or near the front where the driveshaft connects. (somebody verify this) :confused:
Old 03-30-2004, 05:07 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Maintenence Questions (mastromi)

You need to find something you can use to suck the fluid from the diff. There is indeed only the one hole. I used a suction pump that is normally used to drain motor oil from marine engines thru the dipstick hole. You can find them at places like West Marine.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:34 PM
mastromi
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Maintenence Questions (page62)

yeah, thats actually what I ended up using on my volvo- marine oil pump. The problem was that it didn't pump the high weight oil that well. However, can you recommend a pump that works well with the high weight 80W90 oil.

Get notified of new replies

To Maintenence Questions

Quick Reply: Maintenence Questions