C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me decide what my 76 is worth

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 10:40 AM
vetteman555
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me decide what my 76 is worth

Thanks in advance for the help.

I can't include pics right now - don't have any. It's an L-48.

The body/paint is a 5 on a scale of 1-10, and the paint is an ugly purple (previous owner).

The interior is not horrible. It needs to be cleaned, and carpets replaced. All weatherstripping needs to be replaced.

Upgrades over the past four years:

Front suspension is VetteBrakes transverse fiberglass leaf with matching boxed upper/lower control arms and sway bar. Shocks are KYB. Vettebrakes wheel adapters with '86 wheels/tires.

Rear suspension is VetteBrakes fiberglass leaf (adjustable) with matching adjustable "smart struts" and sway bar. Trailing arms are stock, but I needed to relocate the parking brake cable bracket to accomodate the '86 wheels/tires on VetteBrakes wheel adapters.

Exhaust is custom bent dual 2 1/2 inch with FlowMasters, starting out in Headman Headers.

Engine is home-made. HP/Torque specs should be almost identical to ZZ430. The parts list includes:
2-bolt main 1-piece roller block with LT1 pistons, rods, and crank (genII LT1)
LT4 HOT Cam - GMPP
Fast-Burn heads - GMPP
1.6 Crane Gold rockers
Edelbrock Performer RPM Vortec intake
Holley 750 w/vaccum secondaries
Standard HEI ignition

All accessories are mounted on the serpentine kit available from GMPP, including a high output alternator. The seal between the PS pump and the reservoir leaks. But, all P/S equipment has been replaced with components from VetteBrakes over the past 3 years - with the exception of the steering box itself.

There's an electric fuel pump mounted on the frame rail in back to replace the mechanical one, since the new block is not drilled for a mechanical pump. There's also plumbing for EFI, which I've run from time to time. The return-line is unused in the current setup.

The springs are currently set to the stiffest setting, and the car has absolutely no body roll whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if it pulled .9g.

I've raced it five times in the 1/4, with a best time of 13.6@104. The clutch was slipping, and the EFI wasn't dialed in yet. I was expecting mid 12's. I haven't had a chance to change the clutch, but there is a centerforce kit sitting in the garage - which I would gladly include with the car.

I know I'll never get back what I put into it. But, I'm probably going to have to move soon - and, I'll have nowhere to keep it.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 03-30-2004, 04:10 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Please help me decide what my 76 is worth (vetteman555)

I'm guessing it's in the $6k to $10k range.

If you had better paint you could get over the $10k hurdle.
At least the engine has more power than the orig. '76 vettes.

Try looking up a few on the Internet which are close in condition to yours.
You can also try www.nadaguides.com but remember that Nada gives prices on "original" cars so any alterations would be a deduction. :chevy

Don't discount your car though just because it may be modified. There are plenty out there willing to buy a 'hotrod' since they're getting harder to find everyday. :thumbs:

Quick Reply: Please help me decide what my 76 is worth