C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put it in gear and POOF!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 09:32 AM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Put it in gear and POOF!

I have had trouble with my charging system for the last few days and finally got it figured out yesterday and fixed it. I drove it last night to charge the battery up. The volt meter was around 14 volts and running strong. Then at a stoplight I got on it a little and the whole car stumbled. I looked at the volt meter and it was around 11-12 and it would never climb back up to its original 14.

Then this morning I went out to start the car and I had to jump it. So I jumped it and when I put it in gear the car died pretty violently and a nice plume of gray smoke was going from under the hood. The car wont turn over and when I turn the key to start the gen. light doesnt come on. What could be my problem? Should I try to jump it again?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 03-30-2004, 09:38 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Put it in gear and POOF! (CrossedFlags77)

No! Unless you want to make the problem worse. It sounds like your alternator (or some related component) may have burned up. That's what the gauge was telling you.

Shouldn't have jumped it the first time, but now that's :beatdeadhorse:
Old 03-30-2004, 09:40 AM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Default Re: Put it in gear and POOF! (page62)

So what should I check first? :banghead:
Old 03-30-2004, 09:51 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Follow your nose. Something turned into a crispy critter, and you should be able to smell it. Take a good whiff near the alternator... :yesnod:
Old 03-30-2004, 10:45 AM
68raggtop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing I would do is disconnect the battery if you haven't. It sounds like you mat have a dead short in a circuit. That would not be good. Like page62 said, follow your nose and look for insulation melted/ missing/ charred. Most likley near a sharp edge or pinch point. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:02 AM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Default Re: Put it in gear and POOF! (68raggtop)

I am pretty sure its not the alternator. The smoke came from under the engine and the majority was on the passenger side. So I am thinking its the starter. Would that make sense?
Old 03-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you might have the postive cable grounded to the block. Definately unhooked the battery and do some investigating.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:12 PM
ry
Racer

:eek: same thing happened to me when i first started working on my car. nobody told me the colors on the batt. term. were crossed on these cars. anyways..... i reversed the pol. on the car and it blew out a small peice of wiring near the starter. think its called a fuseable link or something like that. its about 6in up the wire from the starter to the ign switch. good luck on fixing it.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:23 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Put it in gear and POOF! (ry)

a buddy of mine had his alt freeze and it killed his engine. the belt tension wouldnt let it turn over. this was in a '92 350 K5 blazer though.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:09 PM
78 Vette
Drifting

Default Re: Put it in gear and POOF! ('79ProwlerOrange)

check all wires going to the starter and disconnect the batt don't leave the batt hooked up disconnect it until it is fixed.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:34 PM
PureSilver
Racer

I've also seen a case (not a 'Vette) where the big ground cable from the block was gone/broken/burnt and just the little one for accessories grounded the starter. Makes lots of smoke when it gets cherry red and vaporizes the grease on it. Just another thing to check...
Old 03-31-2004, 01:43 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Put it in gear and POOF! (PureSilver)

I've also seen a case (not a 'Vette) where the big ground cable from the block was gone/broken/burnt and just the little one for accessories grounded the starter. Makes lots of smoke when it gets cherry red and vaporizes the grease on it. Just another thing to check...
I had this happen to me on a 69 Buick LeSabre lost the body ground from the back of the engine and it found a new ground though the trans cooling lines, burned holes in the lines and sprayed trans fluid all over the exhaust manifold. There was smoke everywhere I was doing 70Mph at the time to

didn't understand why all of a sudden all the cars that were next to me weren't there anymore :D

Steve :steering:
Old 03-31-2004, 09:25 PM
71forKen
Instructor

:iagree: with what's been said. Check the wiring harness going down to your starter. I had mine come loose and melt itself off the back of my headers. It shorted out and fried the starter wires. Smoke came out the passenger side back of the hood and I got our quick and ran to see what it was. When I checked the starter wires they were actually still burning! Yikes! Got that out quick. But I needed a new harness anyway, right? Good Luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Put it in gear and POOF!

Quick Reply: Put it in gear and POOF!