C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Somebody Show or Tell Me how to hook My horn to a Toggle ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:40 PM
SLO RDE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Somebody Show or Tell Me how to hook My horn to a Toggle ?

Hey I need a horn for My State inspection and I don't have time to fix My horn the right way.I just want to hook it up to a toggle Button just to pass inspection.Can somebody tell Me where to hook up what wires and such Thanks.Dale
Old 03-29-2004, 09:58 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Can Somebody Show or Tell Me how to hook My horn to a Toggle ? (SLO RDE)

The horn works by grounding the horn relay at the horn button, if you put a toggle in between the black wire on the horn relay to ground. The red wire on the horn relay is power and the dark green goes to the horn. (the colors are from a '74 wiring diagram)

Steve :steering:
Old 03-29-2004, 09:58 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Can Somebody Show or Tell Me how to hook My horn to a Toggle ? (SLO RDE)

There will be a black wire at the bottom of the column that goes up to the button. Look for it at the wiring connector. Run a wire from it to ground, through the switch.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:41 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with my 1970 several years back when I tried to get a base sticker for it. I temporarily bypassed the entire system to ensure it worked for the inspection.

I picked up a cheapy horn at pep boys and ran a power wire to one terminal on the horn from an ignition hot source. Then I ran a second wire fron the other terminal to a toggle switch that I hid under the dash, then to ground. Worked great and I passed my inspection.

Since then I took a wire brush to the contacts under the horn button on the column and it worked great. Just needed a little cleaning.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:06 PM
SLO RDE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can Somebody Show or Tell Me how to hook My horn to a Toggle ? (70 LS1)

Thanks, 70 LSI's way is the way I want to do it.I Just want a Quick fix for the sticker and don't want to tear anything up on the Vette.I'll fix the real horn later on,Thanks again. Dale

Get notified of new replies

To Can Somebody Show or Tell Me how to hook My horn to a Toggle ?

Quick Reply: Can Somebody Show or Tell Me how to hook My horn to a Toggle ?