C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will We Have Gasoline for Corvettes in 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:19 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Will We Have Gasoline for Corvettes in 2013?

The 60th Anniversary of the Corvette. Just curious as to your views. Alternate fuel cars are already out there. Will we drop by Carlisle in 2013 and see dinosaurs with no available fuel supplies? Will the C8 be driven by a hydrogen fuel cell? Such vehicles are being tested at the moment by Ford in Vancouver, British Columbia. Love to hear your impressions. The future has a bad habit of appearing quickly.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Bringin'it
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Will We Have Gasoline for Corvettes in 2013? (paul67)

Hey, if they can get a hydrogen to run anywhere near as fast as what we've got now I'm in.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

According to the Mayan Calender, the world ends in 2013, so I would'nt worry about it.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:10 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Will We Have Gasoline for Corvettes in 2013? (Paul Borowski)

Hey it better not end then as that is the date of my full pension retirement - will go in 2010 though.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Will We Have Gasoline for Corvettes in 2013? (Paul Borowski)

What was that famous book about the nuclear apocalypes (sp?) that left Australia intact but doomed? They had wild free-for-all car races where guys died all athe time because hey, they're all goners anyway...

We'll have fuel, but it will be different possibly, and more expensive certainly. If it drives all the goobers onto busses and trains, or into mini-putputs, I'll gladly pay it for a bit of freedom on the road.

Hans
Old 03-30-2004, 01:33 AM
Russ Bellinis
Racer

Default Re: Will We Have Gasoline for Corvettes in 2013? (Wrencher)

I think what will happen is that as alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles become more commonly available, the price of oil will nosedive since we won't need as much of it. They are already making synthetic diesel fuel from vegetable oil that burns much cleaner than petroleum based fuels. I would expect to see gas prices drop to about $1.00 per gallon because there won't be much demand for it. I think most people will have an alternative fuel vehicle for the daily commute, and just use a gas burner for weekends, trips, etc.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:52 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Will We Have Gasoline for Corvettes in 2013? (Russ Bellinis)

That's an interesting point of view that has had OPEC worried for some time.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:06 AM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Will We Have Gasoline for Corvettes in 2013? (Wrencher)

What was that famous book about the nuclear apocalypes (sp?) that left Australia intact but doomed? They had wild free-for-all car races where guys died all athe time because hey, they're all goners anyway...

We'll have fuel, but it will be different possibly, and more expensive certainly. If it drives all the goobers onto busses and trains, or into mini-putputs, I'll gladly pay it for a bit of freedom on the road.

"On the Beach" by Nevil Shute

Hans
Old 03-30-2004, 08:10 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Yes, they will still use gasoline. We'll probably continue to use gasoline for many decades. Especially now that we can convert just about any waste into crude oil.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...urkey+%2Boffal
Old 03-30-2004, 08:55 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Will We Have Gasoline for Corvettes in 2013? (Scissors)

If there is a change to alternate fuels the companies that are going to supply it better start creating the infrastructure (i.e. fuel stations) now. That and the price of fuel cells are keeping the cost of a true alternative fuel vehicle unpractical. There are alternative to a 100% fuel cell car (Hybrids, propane etc) but the infrastructure is still not there to support a car that doesn’t run on gas. To answer your question, Yes, I think there will be gasoline in 2013. Gas is still very cheap by the gallon if you compare it to Milk, Nyquil etc. and the big oil companies will not let gas just go away any time soon unless they can make more money on hydrogen or other fuels.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:16 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some encyclopedias from the 1970's that said at the then-current rate of consumption the world would run out of oil in 1991 - a long way away in 1973.

Us humans are pretty smart, and the earth just continues to make oil (well, maybe not really, but that's what I think). I think I'll be driving around on dead dinosaurs for the next 50 years.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Will We Have Gasoline for Corvettes in 2013? (theandies)

Oil is cheap and abundant so it will still be the fuel of choice for years to come unless someone comes up with a cheaper syn that can go right into the tank without much change over. I am sure there are already fuels avail that can be used but are too costly to be used right now. If gas went to $10 a gal then you would see them but until then we have to deal with the OPEC artificially inflated prices.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

GM is currently working on a "hydrogen economy." Looking to get their fingers in the pies of everything from production, transportation, distribution, and cars to consume it. It's not just cars they want to put fuel cells in either; homes, businesses, anything that uses electricity could use a hydrogen->electricity generator.

Basicly, they are starting to build the infrastructure today in the hopes of cashing in big time in the future.

Personally, I can't wait to see what people are going to do to hot rod fuel cell cars. (bear in mind I'm a geek) :lol:
Old 03-30-2004, 08:54 PM
BLKZZ4
Instructor

Alternate fuel powered vehicles will eventually be the norm. It is the natural evolution of things. Progress in efficiency of cars and environmental issues will not stop. This however will take time. In the meantime we should enjoy the cars we have. Future generations for sure will enjoy the dinasours that we are driving today.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:06 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

That's an interesting point of view that has had OPEC worried for some time.
:lolg:

We have corn and biodiesel and cow flatulence, and Rush Limbaugh...

Oh, and troops in the Middle East.

We'll be fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Will We Have Gasoline for Corvettes in 2013?

Quick Reply: Will We Have Gasoline for Corvettes in 2013?