C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I'm in trouble with the transmission shop...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 05:48 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default I think I'm in trouble with the transmission shop...

I had a glitch with the rebuilt 700r4 last week.Since I blew the BTO level 3 in only a week I felt I should mention this glitch to the local builder so he'd know,and possibly make a small adjustment. I told him I was shifting into drive at 5000 rpms and it felt like I was going into neutral.His responce "Why are you shifting so high?"I then told him the last transmission blew when I did the same thing at 6500 rpms.He got real quiet.Then I let him know his transmission was still OK and that I wanted him to make a shift timing adjustment ,change the speedometer gears and change the fluid and filter in a week or so.Things seemed to relax on his end,and he was willing to schedule an appointment.

I've been contemplating a deep transmission pan,but a few of you have said it wouldn't make a difference.My temps are down and it doesn't appear to be slipping,so if it aint broke.don't fix it.Right?
Old 03-29-2004, 06:05 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: I think I'm in trouble with the transmission shop... (The Money Pit)

Tell him that you manually shift 1-2 2-3 and 3-4 with your foot on the floor at 7000. That seems OKay, but when your entering a turn and your on the brakes and you do the 3 to 2 down shift it always kicks the rearend out sideways.

What can you do to fix that? :smash:

The bigger sump only delays heat changes. So like drag racing it will keep the temp lower when your on the transbrake or foot brake at the starting lights.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:12 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Re: I think I'm in trouble with the transmission shop... (The Money Pit)

these trannys should be able to shift at 6 grand with no problem.

is it unloading only on the 3-4 shift?

Old 03-29-2004, 08:58 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: I think I'm in trouble with the transmission shop... (turtlevette)

Did he think you meant you were shifting out of Neutral at this RPM?? Just changing gears at that RPM doesn't seem abnormal to me...

-Chris
Old 03-30-2004, 09:01 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: I think I'm in trouble with the transmission shop... (gkull)

I told this guy that six other shops wanted to rip out the 700r4 and but in a built TH350 and he insisted he could make one last. I told him my car was not raced,but "was run hard once in a while". I also told him I pushed 500 hp and that I managed to blow a 600hp rated transmission in one week.He knew this prior to doing the job,and I don't think he believed it.

Gkull,I haven't worked up the nerve to run 7000 rpms and bang all 4 gears with my 406,but it sounds like fun.Do you mind if I try it out on your Vette first,just to get the hang of it? :D

He's going to make a few adjustments and fluid/filter change in a few weeks,so we'll see how things work out.Worst case senerio I rip out the 700r4 and carry it to his shop and throw it though his window. He is only five blocks from my house.(Wish I lived that close to BTO.)

The trans is only acting up on the 2/3 shift under heavy throttle.Normal driving is fine.

[Modified by The Money Pit, 9:03 AM 3/30/2004]
Old 03-30-2004, 10:38 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Th350's aren't internally stronger than 700's. I never had much luck with 350's they always seemed to puke their guts when the going got ruff.

If your sliding into gear on the 2-3 change. I'd talk to builder about what pressure does he have it set at or maybe additional clutchs.

My 2-3 used to be brutal. Any WOT shift at @90 mph would spin my big 315 rear tires. I was worried about breaking something so I had Art Carr's shop tone it down.

Just put in a SR cam and start running that thing over 7000 :seeya

[Modified by gkull, 3:12 PM 3/30/2004]
Old 03-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: I think I'm in trouble with the transmission shop... (gkull)

ART CARR!!! ART CARR!!! ART CARR!!! I can't say anything more when discussing built TH200 and 700R4's GOOD LUCK otherwise, I think you'll need it! I will see you a 1972 TH400 complete set-up out of my project Vette that the local "goober" can probably sucessfully build and make live if you want to go back to a 3speed automatic, I'll even throw in a deep aluminum pan for it!
Old 03-30-2004, 09:30 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

t
I told him I was shifting into drive at 5000 rpms and it felt like I was going into neutral.His responce "Why are you shifting so high?"I then told him the last transmission blew when I did the same thing at 6500 rpms.He got real quiet....
I had to read that twice...I thought at first you were doing neutral drops at 6500, then decided to be nice to the tranny and only do them at 5000 :D

I hope they get it ironed out for you.

[Modified by isosceles, 9:31 PM 3/30/2004]
Old 03-31-2004, 12:56 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He got real quiet.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't you just love that?!?!

Old 04-14-2004, 06:27 PM
SoCal C5
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I think I'm in trouble with the transmission shop... (Solid LT1)

ART CARR!!! ART CARR!!! ART CARR!!! I can't say anything more when discussing built TH200 and 700R4's ...!
I think talking to Art Carr is a good idea. Just keep in mind that the guy in Texas that is using Art Carr's name is not Art Carr. You can find the real Art Carr at 1-800-ART-CARR (278-2277).

Get notified of new replies

To I think I'm in trouble with the transmission shop...

Quick Reply: I think I'm in trouble with the transmission shop...