C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 Coupe to Convertible conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Fred D. Zwiger
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 74 Coupe to Convertible conversion

Anyone have info or process to convert a coupe to a convertible? I have a convertible parts car that has all convertible parts. Is it easier to clip the car or install deck and convert top and lid?
Old 03-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Cuzz
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 74 Coupe to Convertible conversion (Fred D. Zwiger)

You might have better luck posting this over in the C3 section. :yesnod:
Old 03-29-2004, 07:59 PM
RichF
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '04 & '05

Default Re: 74 Coupe to Convertible conversion (Y2K_FRC)

Moving to C3.........
Old 03-30-2004, 11:42 AM
mboln52000
Intermediate

Default Re: 74 Coupe to Convertible conversion (RichF)

I am doing the same kind of swap on my basket case. It started life as a 69 coupe, and i have a 72 roadster rear clip that i am in the process of grafting to it.

If anybody has done this before, please let us know how you did it.

My plan was to originally clip the cars, and splice in the midle of the rocker panes. But, the rockers and the lock pillars are rusted out on the '72 ragtop clip. SO, that will not work

I have looked over removing the decks. That does not look like the way to go either becuase the deck hinges bolt into the to of the rear kick panel. All I see there is huge alighnment issues in the future by trying to get the height of the deck lid right.

My lates plan is to cut off the lock pillar covers on the ragtop clip, and drill all the rivets out of the metal piece behind the seats that connects the lock pillars, break the bonding loos, and remove the rear clip from the metal.

From what i can tell on the assemble manual, this metal connecting plate has all the rivet holes stamped in it, so they should all be the same.

I should be able to alighn the ragtop clip with therivet holes in the '69 coupe, and be home free!

I hope.........

Old 03-30-2004, 12:43 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: 74 Coupe to Convertible conversion (mboln52000)

Probably easier to cut in the middle of the floor. Cut the T-bar at the front and use the Vert windshield header. There are a lot of small differences in the top storage area that using a vert rear tub helps. Must use the Vert doors or remove the alignment-wedge receivers at the rear (not recommended). Vert glass is different. Frame should be the same. Not a project for the faint of heart-if you cut it in the middle of the floor you still have to deal with the steel under the doors and between the frame. You will have cut it in half and there is not much room to gusset the splice underneath. Probably easiest to find a complete cowl-back convertible body and put one together if possible.

[Modified by markdtn, 11:45 AM 3/30/2004]
Old 03-30-2004, 05:00 PM
mboln52000
Intermediate

Default Re: 74 Coupe to Convertible conversion (markdtn)

Cutting in the middle of the floor is the best way to go. If you have a good rear clip. Thats definatley the easiest way, and the splice is much faster since you are just dealing with the rocker channel, and a little fiberglass. You are right on all the differences. Door glass is very different, but the doors can be swapped out, and not use the aligment guides on the ragtop doors, and just use coupe doors. If you have good body mounts, those guides really dont do anything anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To 74 Coupe to Convertible conversion

Quick Reply: 74 Coupe to Convertible conversion