C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb for my 76 L-48... A couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 12:40 PM
OREO Speedwagon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb for my 76 L-48... A couple questions

First off, is this pretty straight forward? I haven't done an intake or carb on a car since I was in high school, and that's been a over a decade ago... And it was on a mopar.

Secondly, should I just go with a manual choke? I really don't like the electric choke and don't mind babying it until it warms up.

Can I get a non EGR intake? No testing in Indy, so emissions isn't an issue.

So, is it pretty straight forward on the vette? I've done a lot of searches through old threads and that combo seems to be a pretty popular one. I wouldn't mind trying a demon carb, but that's a lot of cash. From what I've read, the Edelbrock combo will do me fine.

Any tips/tricks/etc. would be much appreciated. I plan on doing this next week.

:smash:
Old 03-29-2004, 12:43 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thinking of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb for my 76 L-48

Yes, it's straightforward. And yes, you can get a non-EGR intake.

I think the only "sticky wicket" is along the front of the manifold. Some folks scrap the supplied gasket and use a bead of silicone. Hang around and someone will provide their 2 cents worth on this.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:45 PM
OREO Speedwagon
Advanced

Default Re: Thinking of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb for my 76 L-48 (page62)

What do you think of the Performer EPS intakes?
Old 03-29-2004, 12:49 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: Thinking of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb for my 76 L-48...

Performer intakes are based on the older Z/28 302 intakes from the 60's.
They're decent and offer a wide rpm range along with good driveability.

As for the carb. you can checkout this thread --> http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=786533

For your setup an Edel. Performer (a knockoff of the Carter AFB) would do fine and it's very reliable. However the above thread shares more opinions on this topic. ;) :chevy
Old 03-29-2004, 12:50 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thinking of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb for my 76 L-48 (OREO Speedwagon)

Never encountered one personally, so I ain't gonna :bs you! But I sure can't see anything wrong with it.
How about this...try one and let us know. :seeya
Old 03-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Ronny
Intermediate

Default Re: Thinking of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb for my 76 L-48

Yes It is very straight forward. I have the Performer setup on my 79 L-82 (2101 non-egr intake, 1406 carb and matching cam and lifters) and it made a tremendioous difference in my performance, but my stock intake had a huge crack on left side at rear ssooo me think I just fixed an existing problem which made it seem like a big step up in performance. What you really need to watch out for is that "while I'm at it" grimlin. He can suck a lot of money out of a wallet.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:22 PM
thebruce
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Thinking of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb for my 76 L-48...

I've got an RPM AirGap intake and Performer 600 right now. Installation was straightforward (it was my first, and I found it to be remarkably easy), and I'd agree with the earlier suggestion to not use the cork end seals-- just use a bead of RTV.

Good luck. :flag
Old 03-29-2004, 01:26 PM
OREO Speedwagon
Advanced

Default Re: Thinking of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb for my 76 L-48... (thebruce)

I didn't think the airgap would clear the hood? Did you use a drop base cleaner?
Old 03-29-2004, 01:37 PM
thebruce
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Thinking of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb for my 76 L-48... (OREO Speedwagon)

Yep. Fits fine. I'm actually going to be going back to the stock manifold an Q-jet sometime in the next month or so, so if you're not in a hurry, we could work out a package deal if you want everything I've got from intake up.

I decided I prefer the stock look to chrome air cleaner and valve covers.

Then again, I just posted a few minutes ago that my ignition died yesterday, so I may be delayed in the intake/carb swap until I get the time to straighten that mess out.

I've been meaning to get my digital camera out and take some pics of my car anyway, so if I get around to it tonight, I'll try to get one of the air cleaner base that allows the RPM AirGap to fit.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Thinking of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb for my 76 L-48... A couple questions

Pay close attention to where your distributor is when you pull it out... :cheers:
Old 03-29-2004, 01:47 PM
OREO Speedwagon
Advanced

Pay close attention to where your distributor is when you pull it out... :cheers:
Will do.

:)

The more I think about it, the more I think I may want to change the cam while I'm in there. I've read a section on changing the cams on a 77 at corvettefaq.com and it got me a little nervous. My buddy it pretty savvy though, so I think he'll be able to help me out.

Old 03-29-2004, 01:55 PM
thebruce
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Thinking of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb for my 76 L-48... (OREO Speedwagon)

If you're going to change the cam, see if you can find Terry Rudy's website that shows him doing in in his car. I printed it out and used it the whole way when I put in my CompCams XE268. One suggestion (learned the hard way) use new bolts all around. I sheared a timing gear bolt and had to get the threaded portion removed from my brand-new cam by a machine shop. :banghead:

Edit: Just saw that the "Cam swap in a 1974 Corvette" posting that I referred to is available on http://www.corvettefaq.com. It tells you all you need to know.

[Modified by thebruce, 1:01 PM 3/29/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb for my 76 L-48... A couple questions

Quick Reply: Thinking of the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb for my 76 L-48... A couple questions