C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes! it finally starts and runs consistently

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 11:21 AM
SLine78
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes! it finally starts and runs consistently

Since I purchased the 71 back in Nov. I have not had the vette start and run consistently. Problems have incluided:
Dead Battery- Replaced and fixed short causing drain (horn)
Holley Carb flooding - Replaced with Edelbrock #1901
Defective Alternator - Replaced
Weak Coil - Replaced
Questionable Distributor - Cleaned and rebuilt with new main shaft
Old plug wires - Replaced

After all of this, I still was not getting a consistent spark and could not get the vette to run. So over the weekend I started with a clean slate and began troubleshhoting again at the beginning. Battery good and charged - check. 12V at coil in start position, 8V at run - check. Remove cap and bump to 8 BTDC, rotor pointing at #1 tower - Negative, appears to be off by a position. Remove distributor and repostion so rotor point to #1. Tighten distributor, reinstall cap, turn key - Vette fires right up.

It runs very smooth off-idle, but at idle I get an occasional popping in the exhaust. I will pull and replace the plugs and try and fine tune the idle mixture screws. Seems like it may be loading up a little at idle, but once you get the rpms up it clears out.

At least now it starts like it should, with just a quick twist of the key, and I can begin to focus on the other areas needing attention like the brakes, tires, power steering and interior.

Mike
Old 03-29-2004, 08:53 PM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05
Default Re: Yes! it finally starts and runs consistently (SLine78)

Congrats! :cheers:

I know how you feel. I just went through a multi-wwek troubleshooting of a no-start condition. I ended up with a bad starter, bad battery, and a bad ground. Also discovered a couple of bad plug wires so put in new plugs and wires.

What a great feeling when I finally got the thing started! Unfortunately my wife didn't share my excitement since it was 2am and my car running in the garage shakes half the house!

There's always something to fix on these cars, but don't forget to get out and enjoy it in between repairs! :auto:
Old 03-30-2004, 09:40 AM
Freepop
Pro

Default Re: Yes! it finally starts and runs consistently (69_BigBlock)

Sline78, wouldn't a timing light have told you that?

I am curious as to what the problem was, and I don't understand your solution.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:45 AM
SLine78
Racer

Default Re: Yes! it finally starts and runs consistently (Freepop)

With a timing light hooked up to #1 cylinder, I would not see a consistent flash, which confused me since all of the ignition system components had been replaced. I thought that even if the timing was off a position or two, that I should still see a consistent spark when #1 was suppose to fire.

So after confirming that my ignition voltages were normal, I needed to recheck the timing. So I bumped the engine until the timing marks were at TDC and then pulled the distributor cap off to see where the rotor was pointing. Instead of pointing to the #1 tower it was pointed to #8. So I took the distributor out and repositioned the rotor so when it was reinstalled it would point to #1 like it was suppose to. When I took the distributor out a month ago to rebuild it, I didnl't get it reinstalled with the proper oreintation.

Once every thing was oriented properly, I was getting spark at the right time and the engine fired up. I am still unsure why I was only getting intermittent spark before.

Mike
Old 03-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Freepop
Pro

Default Re: Yes! it finally starts and runs consistently (SLine78)

Intermittent spark = bad plug, wire, cap, rotor or points

Good starting = properly tuned engine

properly tuned engine = good plugs, wires, caps, rotor or points and timed engine

FWIW, I had a bad wire on my timing light that gave me fits till I found it that caused what you descibed.

[Modified by Freepop, 9:57 AM 3/30/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Yes! it finally starts and runs consistently

Quick Reply: Yes! it finally starts and runs consistently