C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker arm noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Tourney3p0
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker arm noise?

This is for a friend of mine.. the motor is a late 70's Corvette standard 350.

It's developed a dead miss in the last few days. The plugs, wires, and cap are less than two months old.

About the same time, we're starting to hear some clattering that I'm pretty sure is from a rocker arm. It's not just a faint clatter like bad gasoline either, it's pretty loud and annoying.

I'm almost certain the two are related. It'll always do it under a load but rarely does it at idle. That makes it difficult to figure out where it's coming from but I'm pretty sure this evening I can find it by pulling plug wires until I find the dead cylinder.

The first thing I thought was a dropped valve, but everything appeared to be okay when I removed the valve covers. I'm no expert but the pushrods and everything seemed to be functioning properly.

One thing I wasn't sure about was when I ran the car with the valve covers off, one rocker arm on each side shot oil about 3 feet whereas the others only barely trickled. Is this normal?

So to recap.. dead miss, clattering sound I'm almost sure are from rocker arms. No other unusual sounds.

It's hooked up to a TH350 so it doesn't really see high rpm's. Any ideas?
Old 03-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Rocker arm noise? (Tourney3p0)

One thing I wasn't sure about was when I ran the car with the valve covers off, one rocker arm on each side shot oil about 3 feet whereas the others only barely trickled. Is this normal?
Sounds like that lifter is collapsing, why the oil is shooting out, that will cause the valve not open, or at least not to open all the way. Try pulling plug wire for that cyl and see if the eng runs any diff.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Rocker arm noise? (Fevre)

I had the clatter and sputter above 3500- 4000 RPM. My lifter munched and the cam worn flat.

My engine "sounds" while driving.... Errrrrrr.... shift ERRRRRRRR shift VAREEEEERRRR pop pop spit spit crackle crackle... shift.... crap...

I tightened the rocker too much and caused my OWN carnage! The lifter became concave and the cam lobe looked more like a mini bearing journal!!!

:cry
Old 03-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Tourney3p0
Pro

Default Re: Rocker arm noise? (Mr.Gearhead)

I had the clatter and sputter above 3500- 4000 RPM. My lifter munched and the cam worn flat.
This motor sounds the same throughout the entire rpm range. The clatter isn't really worse at high rpm's, but it's there regardless. It doesn't pop or sputter, just has a dead miss.

I think I'm going to run some seafoam through it this afternoon when we change the oil on the off chance that there's some carbon on the valves or something.

I'm probably going to be taking the rocker arm off this evening to check the pushrods (or will this be evident without doing so?). When I go to put the rocker arm back on and need to adjust the valves, do I simply turn the pushrod by hand until it's too tight to turn, then back off a bit? Or is there a better way of doing this with the motor running?
Old 03-29-2004, 03:32 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rocker arm noise? (Mr.Gearhead)

My engine "sounds" while driving.... Errrrrrr.... shift ERRRRRRRR shift VAREEEEERRRR pop pop spit spit crackle crackle... shift.... crap...
:lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Rocker arm noise?

Quick Reply: Rocker arm noise?