C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should the price of a car be lowered if you fly to pick it up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 10:38 PM
R-J
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should the price of a car be lowered if you fly to pick it up?

Let's say you find a car advertised that you want. It's got everything you love, especially the price - but it's accross the country. So you plan to buy, and you purchase the one way plane ticket. Do you think the seller should lower the price some, if you are paying cash and flying to get the car? Assuming you get the lowest priced ticket, of course. I'm asking because I may be doing this soon.

[Modified by R-J, 3:43 AM 3/29/2004]
Old 03-28-2004, 10:46 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Should the price of a car be lowered if you fly to pick it up? (R-J)

It's not the seller's problem that you live out-of-area. If I were a seller in this situation, I would guarantee the car is as stated in my ad or I refund your ticket $$$.

On the other hand, if the seller really wants to close the deal and needs the cash, you can suggest he compensate. He might bite. I wouldn't.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Old 03-28-2004, 10:46 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Should the price of a car be lowered if you fly to pick it up? (R-J)

I flew to St. Louis just to inspect my car. Had it shipped by a carrier. It would never have occured to me to ask the seller to discount because I had to travel--that's not his problem & why should he take a hit because he sold it to you instead of locally?

JB
Old 03-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Should the price of a car be lowered if you fly to pick it up? (JB)

Nope, that's is not the seller's concern. :nonod:
Old 03-29-2004, 07:06 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buyer should pay his own way to get the car.

I flew to Boston to pick up my car after winning an ebay auction. The seller had a driver picked me up at the airport and take me to his friends dealership where the car was parked. There were 2 things wrong with the car that were stated as working. I thought it was still a good deal, bought it and drove it the 1500 miles home.
In hindsite, I probably should have haggled for a lower price, but I was blinded by the excitement of my owning my first Vette. I ended up with a car that looked decent (10ft paint job, interior with no major tears) needed some work but could be driven daily for under 6K including airfare.

[Modified by isosceles, 7:07 AM 3/29/2004]
Old 03-29-2004, 07:28 AM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

You can always ask :cheers:
Old 03-29-2004, 09:57 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,477 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

It's the buyer responsibility. I bought mine from CnV in AZ and they offer either to pay your airfare up to $350 or pay for half of the shipping. I opted for the half of shipping to Chicago.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:05 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Should the price of a car be lowered if you fly to pick it up? (74FLCONV)

It's not the seller's problem that you live out-of-area. If I were a seller in this situation, I would guarantee the car is as stated in my ad or I refund your ticket $$$.
Absolutely :thumbs:
Old 03-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Should the price of a car be lowered if you fly to pick it up? (GDaina)

If I am buying yes, if I am selling no. :)
Old 03-29-2004, 10:48 AM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Should the price of a car be lowered if you fly to pick it up? (Fevre)

:skep:

geo
Old 03-29-2004, 02:06 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

I have been to Orlando and Houston and picked up cars I bought. I knew how much it would cost me to travel.

I never would have asked the seller to pay for my trip.

Old 03-29-2004, 02:28 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: Should the price of a car be lowered if you fly to pick it up? (corvette-pilot)

:iagree: ......Until you close the 'deal' you can negotiate anything.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:46 PM
dsagers
Pro

Only if the travel cost is negotiated up front. Otherwise, buy your own ticket and enjoy the drive.

You may want to pay a shop in the seller's area to inspect the car before buying a one way ticket.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Should the price of a car be lowered if you fly to pick it up? (dsagers)

I hope you aren't planning on travelling out of a state (with the exception of your coastal areas!) that has rust free cars to a "Rust Belt" state to buy an old Corvette if you don't know what to look for during an inspection. We are contantly amazed at the number of people who go to states like Ohio to purchase "shinny paint job Vettes" from our sunny state of California and then bring them to my freind's shop to find out they are completely rusted and need frame and bird cage replacements/repairs that can far exceed the origional purchase prices (especially on C2-3 Vettes!) Go to a local Corvette club meeting and start your search for a good car there! My rule: the further away the car, the better the selller's description! You will have no recourse in a bad transaction if you travel far away, do so at your own RISK!
Old 03-29-2004, 03:29 PM
1FUNVET
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Should the price of a car be lowered if you fly to pick it up? (corvette-pilot)

:iagree: It never hurts and the worst he says is no, which you are already to pay what you two have decided on so if he agrees cool, if not oh well no biggie. Besides you wanted the car and it's up to you to get it, not the seller to get it to you. I bought my car on Ebay and it was in FL. I had a BIG RIG pick it up and deliver to me. (for a fee of course!)

[Modified by 1FUNVET, 10:47 AM 3/30/2004]
Old 03-29-2004, 07:18 PM
red79c3
Racer

I live in Florida and I found my 79 Vette in Texas. I drove out and brought her home on my trailer. If you want it bad enough you'll do what ever it takes to get it, I guess.......

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2004, 10:23 PM
78 Vette
Drifting

Default Re: Should the price of a car be lowered if you fly to pick it up? (red79c3)

:skep: :nono:

Get notified of new replies

To Should the price of a car be lowered if you fly to pick it up?

Old 03-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Why not consider putting the word out here on the forum to get one of the members to go and check the car out for you. A nice gesture on your part could be a tip or a small amount of compensation, but it may save you a wasted trip if the car isn't everything it should be. I would suggest listing the request not only here in the C3 section, but in the appropriate area events section as well. :cheers:
Old 03-30-2004, 04:14 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I am not real experienced in this but from what I have seen the buyer is responsible for the transport of the car. The seller may have been able to sell it to a local. Why should the seller take a hit on the deal ? When I was looking for my Corvette I passed on a couple of cars that were too far away and the transport cost would have added 10-20 % to the cost of the car. I didn't feel comfortable driving an unknown 30 year old car 1000-2000 miles not to mention the cost of getting there and the cost of driving back too.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:15 PM
motown 71
Racer

I'd say No it should not, however the seller may consider knocking of a few $ . I had to fly to get mine and the fellow was kind enough to both know off a couple $$ and also provide me transprotation from the airport which was about 90 minute drive......Best damn day of my life !!!!
Drove the 71 900 miles home, we got acquainted real quick.

Quick Reply: Should the price of a car be lowered if you fly to pick it up?