C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost drive belt on the freeway a little while ago! What are some good under drive pulleys to get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 10:33 PM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lost drive belt on the freeway a little while ago! What are some good under drive pulleys to get?

Driving along the H1 at about 80 mph and haerd this cracking booming sound. So, i took a glnce at the instruments and noticed the temp gauge heading north with a purpose. I realized i was having a .."corvetteforum.com post moment" and safely if not quickly cut across to the right hand lane and then to the shoulder. Popped the hood to see a half strung "gatorback" belt shredded across the alternator and pulleys and such! Luckely from reading this forum i carry not one but two spares. replaced the broken belt, let the engine cool for about ten minutes or so and away we were back towards home. This, however has been a problem building for awhile as my previous belt has made that well discussed whining noise on occassion. I've tried all the usual solutions ( new belts, belt dressings, soap and such) and feel that its either time to take a look at the altrnator pulley V trough or go with a nice set of under drive pulleys, or maybe replace stock ones. The noise only comes from the alternator so i am not sure!?! What type of facny belt pulleys are you guys using and what type would you recommend?
Old 03-28-2004, 11:36 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

Default Re: (sharkthehunter77)

first, gatorback belts suck. i have never had a car that used v-belts that they would stay on. use gates or dayco belts.
second, all fast revving cars have a problem keeping alternator belts on anyway. if it were me, i would contact march about a deep groove alternator pulley. the one pulley may take care of the problem and you wont have any low speed cooling and charging issues.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:26 AM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Lost drive belt on the freeway a little while ago!

I have March underdrive pulleys (v belt). Never thrown a belt but I'm not hi rev. Limiter is set at 6000.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:41 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Lost drive belt on the freeway a little while ago! (nastee383)

I have March also. Kinda pricey but very nice. They are powder coated clear so the shine stays with them. About the hardest I have revved mine is around 5600. Very rarely do I do that.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:18 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Lost drive belt on the freeway a little while ago! (Eddie 70)

A deep-groove alternator pulley (or underdrive pulley) may help on your problem but if I were you, I'd look at a pulley misalignment first. If your car is pitching belts at lower rpm, it's either poor quality belts or pulley alignment.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:38 AM
First79vette
Advanced

Default Re: Lost drive belt on the freeway a little while ago! (gerry72)

Had the same thing happen last year, got on it hard doing about 90 and the temp gauge started to come up and didnt stop :eek: pulled over and the belt I just put on was in shreds, (napa) I think I had it on way too tight was part of the problem I thought,.. too loose and it would squeal, during my recent teardown found out the pulley on the alt does not match the deeper crank pulleys so today I'm going to see if I can get a deeper pulley for the alt and a bigger belt and try that. Called March and holy *&$*# they are pricey! If this does not work then I'm going to try a serp system off a early 90's truck I think that will work. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Lost drive belt on the freeway a little while ago! What are some good under drive pulleys to get?

Quick Reply: Lost drive belt on the freeway a little while ago! What are some good under drive pulleys to get?