C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emission Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 04:03 PM
VetteWild
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emission Question

My question is for someone that knows alot of stuff about emissions. I am wondering if my 75 vette needs to still have cats on it. I heard that because it is now 30 years old it does'nt need to. But I want to make sure about it before I actually do it and find out that I could'nt have done it. I also live in the Phoenix area if that helps ya out on this question.

Thanks

[Modified by VetteWild, 9:05 PM 3/28/2004]
Old 03-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Emission Question (VetteWild)

I found this on AZ motor vehicle department's web site:

"VEHICLE EMISSIONS: WHAT VEHICLES NEED TO BE TESTED?
Unless specifically exempted, all 1967 and newer vehicles (including diesels) that are registered in the metro Phoenix (Area A) or Tucson (Area B) emission test areas must receive an emissions inspection no more than 90 days prior to registration.

Your registration renewal application from the Motor Vehicles Division will say "Emission Test Required" when it is time to have your vehicle tested.

If you work in the emission test area, but register outside of the area, Arizona law requires that you have the vehicle inspected in the area to which you commute.

Automobile dealers are responsible for having vehicles emissions tested prior to sale. You will be notified by Motor Vehicle Division when you need to re-register your vehicle and if it is due for emissions testing.

Vehicles to be tested must enter the inspection station under their own power. They may not be on or pulling a trailer.

Exempted Vehicles

Model year 2000 or newer, except reconstructed, vehicles
Model year 2002 or newer original equipment alternative fuel vehicles
Model year 1966 and older vehicles
Apportioned vehicles (licensed in more than one state)
Electric powered, golf carts or vehicles with engine displacement of less than 90cc
Vehicles leased to a person residing outside the emission control areas
Vehicles transferred between dealers (wholesale)
More Information regarding exemptions for New Vehicles, Vehicles Registered Outside of Tucson or Phoenix or Vehicles Out of State at Test Time"

Sounds like you're still subject to testing. Being new to the area, I haven't had to deal with it myself (my Vette is a `65 and my other cars are new enough to be exempt). Maybe some area C3 owners know of a way around this and will post. Good Luck!

Old 03-28-2004, 08:53 PM
phxraptor
Burning Brakes

:lurk:
Old 03-28-2004, 09:16 PM
silver77vette
Intermediate

When I took my 77 in,they checked the gas cap,under the car for cats,but only ran a idle test. I'd bet they do the same to yours. :thumbs:
Old 03-28-2004, 09:16 PM
weendoggy
Racer

Keep it on, but replace it with a flow-through one. It'll sound better and you'll notice the difference. It'll also keep you legal! :)

Get notified of new replies

To Emission Question

Quick Reply: Emission Question