C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where Not To Go For Exchaust System Work On Your Vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Default Where Not To Go For Exchaust System Work On Your Vette

I thought I would post this here also for youu C-3 Section guys in the South Jersey Area...It also appears In The C2- C2

________________________________________ ________________________

I took my 460 Thunderchicken over to a Meineke Muffler shop here in the South New Jersey Area (Pleastentville NJ). I have had work done before at a Meineke shop in Berlin NJ who did a great job fabricating a 3" Cat Back System on my 86 Vette.

They also had done the Thunderchicken ..Theye did a front to back dual exchaust..

The Thunderchicken's mufflers were blown out so I choose this shop because it was closer...Bad Mistake :banghead: After the install of the new Mufflers and Tail pipes I drove out and headed for an oil change at my local Shop. After the car was on the lift I went under the car and looked at there work.

They never replaced the clamps after they chopped them up to install the pipes. They welded one clamp to the pipe after they lost the nuts...and the other side ...they just welded the clamp bracket to the pipe because they destroyed the lower bracket.

When I ook it back the guy who installed the system...he gave me a ton of BUBBA attitude...and got Pissed at me for commenting on his sloppy work.
Their were banging sounds coming from under the car. The tail pipes were hitting the bumper on some rough spots in the road. And the rear axel was banging against the pipes where they pass over the axel. His explanaion was that my shocks were worn out.(WRONG...Ther were replaced last year and the old system never hit them).

After we exchanged some Barb's :boxing I told him to drop the car down and let me out of this poor excuse for a Muffler Shop...and I was outa their.!!

So..........The Motto is.... Don't listen to "George Forman"...And Never never take your Vette To Meineke....

:bs :spam

Below are pictures of Meineke's Expert Workmanship

[Modified by Viet Nam Vett, 12:32 PM 3/28/2004]

[Modified by Viet Nam Vett, 12:33 PM 3/28/2004]
Old 03-28-2004, 12:49 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Where Not To Go For Exchaust System Work On Your Vette (Viet Nam Vett)

Mark i drive by there every day coming home from work,funny how i was always see the same cars out front.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Where Not To Go For Exchaust System Work On Your Vette (patsnitrovette)

wow, what a shoddy job. :shocked:
Old 03-28-2004, 01:16 PM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: Where Not To Go For Exchaust System Work On Your Vette (patsnitrovette)

You just reinforced the reason why I'm VERY picky about who works on my Vette! I can do minor repairs and fixes, but this type of work is best left to the pros unless you have a lift, tools and skills to do it yourself.

Next time anyone touches your Vette and you can't do the repairs yourself, get recommendations first from perhaps someone in a local Vette club?

This kind of shoddy repair work would send me through the roof not to metion seeing me in small claims court suing the h*ell out of these people for your time, grief and aggrivation.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Yeller81USNRet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Where Not To Go For Exchaust System Work On Your Vette (luvmy82)

I could have done that and charged a whole lot less.
Guess I will never visit a George shop.
:steering:
Old 03-28-2004, 04:23 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Where Not To Go For Exchaust System Work On Your Vette (Viet Nam Vett)

and they probably thought they were doing you a favor with those welds and proud of their work! :rolleyes:
That's just welders' duct tape!
Old 03-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Where Not To Go For Exchaust System Work On Your Vette (isosceles)

That is a lousy job. I know it is a little further for you to go but Mufflex in Trenton did my exhaust. Not the cheapest guy but his work quality is very good. I have been impressed with his work. I have sent some other people to him and the yhad good luck with him also. Talk to Denny, he is the owner and does a lot of high performance cars.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:38 PM
slaine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy, are we lucky that they aren't Vendors in here.(Dang sarcasm gene kicked in.) Don't you think that you're being awfully hard on those poor unskilled mechanics? For a blind welder, those welds are almost barely passable. I've seen guys do a better job with hand tools on their car in the street.
Seriously though, if a friend had done that job for free, it would have been pitifull. It's a shame that you had to pay good money for THAT, and put up with the attitude to boot. You might want to send the pictures with a report to the BBB.
Mike
Old 03-28-2004, 05:08 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Where Not To Go For Exchaust System Work On Your Vette (slaine)

To be fair, Meinike and Midas muffler shops are franchises. There are some good ones out there. It all depends on the owner and who he hires. You should get references before taking your vette to any shop. i will probably make the trek to Trenton (Mufflex) for my exhaust based on Gordon's reference.... plus they have a cool website! :lol: and Denny replied to my email for info. :) MJ
Old 03-28-2004, 08:59 PM
phxraptor
Burning Brakes

Mark i drive by there every day coming home from work,funny how i was always see the same cars out front.
The same cars out front everday are called comebacks :cuss Or employees cars trying to make the place look busy :rolleyes: :cheers: :seeya
Old 03-28-2004, 09:08 PM
78 Vette
Drifting

Default Re: Where Not To Go For Exchaust System Work On Your Vette (phxraptor)

:iagree:
Old 03-28-2004, 10:24 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

:rolleyes: Going to Meineke for custom exhaust work is like going to 7/11 for a root canal. The guy gets what he deserves for trying to save a few bucks.

I called three local Corvette repair shops and asked who does their exhaust work. All three named the same place (not one said "Meineke/Midas"). That's where I'm taking my Vette. I'll take my daily driver to Meineke when they have a sale on mufflers.

FYI - The exhaust shop in Ft. Lauderdale is "Steve's Custom Exhaust Shop", 320 E. Prospect Rd., Oakland Park, FL. This guy had me convinced he knows his sheet when he looked under my car and insisted I replace the spare-tire tub before he custom-fitted anything.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 03-28-2004, 10:49 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Well..I'm recovering fro a broken ankle and did't want to drive the 30 miles or so to Berlin NJ who originally did the Car..(Ford Thunderchicken and my 86 Vette.) The work at the Berlin Shop was excellent.

But these guys at the Pleasentville shop really screwed up the Ford Pictured above. When I asked the Bubba..how come you didn't install new hanger brackets ...his answere was...we ain't got none...besides, there holding arn't they.. :banghead: . :beatdeadhorse:
Old 03-28-2004, 10:52 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Where Not To Go For Exchaust System Work On Your Vette (74FLCONV)

FYI - The exhaust shop in Ft. Lauderdale is "Steve's Custom Exhaust Shop", 320 E. Prospect Rd., Oakland Park, FL. This guy had me convinced he knows his sheet when he looked under my car and insisted I replace the spare-tire tub before he custom-fitted anything.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
:iagree:

I have heard good things too about them for custom work :cheers:

[Modified by shoptek, 10:53 PM 3/28/2004]
Old 03-28-2004, 10:57 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

The work at the Berlin Shop was excellent.
As they say in Jersey...You's got lucky.

:beatdeadhorse:

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 03-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Default Re: Where Not To Go For Exchaust System Work On Your Vette (74FLCONV)

Quote*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The work at the Berlin Shop was excellent.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As they say in Jersey...You's got lucky.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On That Day They had some good "Cannabis"......

:lol:
Old 03-28-2004, 11:40 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

should have went to Peterson's :nono:

Get notified of new replies

To Where Not To Go For Exchaust System Work On Your Vette

Quick Reply: Where Not To Go For Exchaust System Work On Your Vette