C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair or replace my Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 08:25 PM
68ragtop
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Repair or replace my Radiator?

I have a very slight leak in my radiator. It only starts leaking when setting for several days. It appears to be where the core is attached to the side tank near the bottom. It's a 4 core and in exceptional condition. Should I have it repaired or replace it? Because there's no corosion in the tubes does that mean it's OK or should I look at other factors?

I have a slightly modified sb and cooling has never been a problem. I did have the car in a parade last summer and by the end (an hour of creeping and riding the clutch) it was getting pretty warm, but other than that it seems fine.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:33 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Repair or replace my Radiator? (68ragtop)

When I pulled my radiator, I cleaned it real well, we welded a small portion (to fix a leak), and then I put it back in. I've had no problems since.

In your situation, I'd say it depends on how comfortable you are with welding.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Mike73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest taking it to a good radiator shop and having it re-cored. Essentially you will end up with a brand new but original radiator...
Old 03-29-2004, 11:37 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the leak is in one of the outer tubes it can be solder repaired with good results. If it's in one of the inner tubes you better have it re-cored because they would have to cut tubes just to access the leak. Also, if the radiator has any signs of previous repair, get the recore. You also need to look at the fins and make sure they are not rotted away from the tubes. I had a radiator that did not leak but the car still ran hot. The radiator shop pointed out that the fins were rotted and loose. Replaced the radiator and it ran cool as a cucumber. I lived in Dallas at the time. Still ran cool, even in 100+ temps.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:58 AM
68raggtop
Racer

I went with a new radiator. I figured it was not something I want to do again for a long time. BTW I like your user ID :thumbs: I wasn't aware it was active when I picked mine. Sorry :bb hope you don't mind. :cheers:
Old 03-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would see what a rad shop could do. Beats $300. plus for new. Both my 77 & 72 rads were taken to a shop to be boiled out, pressure checked and cleaned up. He even painted them for me. $50. both times. No problems in 2 yrs.
Eddie
Old 03-29-2004, 12:51 PM
68ragtop
Instructor

Default Re: Repair or replace my Radiator? (Silvr77)

The radiator is in excellent condition and the fins are perfect with no corrosion so I decided to take it in to get repaired. I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

Not a problem with the name 68raggtop as long as you don't paint your vette Red ;)
Old 03-29-2004, 01:29 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine repaired for 70 bux. It hasn't been a problem since.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:19 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: Repair or replace my Radiator? (Mike73)

I would suggest taking it to a good radiator shop and having it re-cored. Essentially you will end up with a brand new but original radiator...
:iagree: .....I replaced mine (26") with one for an L-89 (27 1/2") but would have had my old one re-done if it was in better shape. Since the original was pretty well beatup and multiple repairs (stopleak ?) I decided to get a new one. ;)
Old 03-29-2004, 08:08 PM
68ragtop
Instructor

Default Re: Repair or replace my Radiator? (verskel)

Boy do I feel like a dumb butt :banghead:

The radiator is fine, the problem was the lower hose. There was corrosion between the face of the elbow and hose. When Running and warm it sealed. Once the car completely cooled down it would seep just a little bit.

Get notified of new replies

To Repair or replace my Radiator?

Quick Reply: Repair or replace my Radiator?