C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided fuel hose recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 04:06 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Braided fuel hose recommendations

I replaced all my rubber fuel hoses last summer and have just noticed that the hoses which connect the engine mounted steel line to the steel line under body has started to change color-from black to an off gray look.

I am thinking that this is due to the movement that these hoses make from the engine movement and the relativly sharp install angle. None of the other fuel line hoses in the other locations have changed color. These hoses are proper grade fuel hoses from NAPA.

I would like to replace these with steel braided hoses but dont want to have to use special fittings-hose clamps should be sufficient. I saw some in Summit or Jegs that looked like this.

Anyone try these or have any recommendations?

Brent...
Old 03-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Braided fuel hose recommendations (MN-Brent)

I've had that happen with hoses I've bought from Napa too. Once they were exposed to heat they formed a goofy gray/brown coating but after it was wiped off it didn't come back.

I plumbed my whole fuel system with braided SS hose. You'll practicly need the special fittings if you're going with real braided SS hose.

A friend of mine got a bunch of braided SS sleeving (complete with clamp covers) from Summit, Specter I think was the brand. Really made a difference that Tempest's engine bay.

Good luck! :cheers:
Old 03-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Master Ho
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, having just replaced the same hoses(the 'S' and the smaller, return line)
with OEM/Ecklers, and using the supplied clamps to keep it all in place, I doubt you'd have any trouble using the clamps supplied/available for the braided SS hoses.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

sounds like it's due to some chemical release agent or lube from the braiding leeching out.. If it wipes off, i wouldn't worry about it. We have all our brake lines on my jet made out of steel braided teflon and they do the same thing
Old 04-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I want to eliminate the solid fuel line from fp to carb. What can i use for filter on my 650 demon? I am trying to reduce fuel biol this summer. i already have the Holly heat shield. What else can i do? TIA

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Braided fuel hose recommendations

Quick Reply: Braided fuel hose recommendations