C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Performance TCS

Old 03-27-2004, 12:04 AM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default High Performance TCS

Here is a picture of the condition of my TCS solenoid when I first purchaced the car.

The stuff that looks like gum where the outlet to the vacuum advance should be is what I believe to be plumbers putty. I think at sometime in the car's history a mechanic broke the outlet nipple off and re-plumbed the vacuum hoses so that it looked like nothing was wrong. I can't see why anyone in their right mind would plumb their car like this one was.

I had thought about getting a new solenoid but they cost around $70 dollars. I also thought about just leaving it off, but where would the wires go. I couldn't just have them hanging around with nothing to connect to. I guess that I could just cut them off, but knowing me I would be compelled to remove them entirely from the harness. Also, where is the fun in that.

What I did was disasemble it and remove the piston, spring and about 3 miles of copper wire and clean and shine the case and bracket. Then I bought a vacuum tee from the Auto Zone and plugged one end with epoxy. Next I cut and notched the vacuum connection on the TCS and epoxied the tee into it. Finally I painted all the exposed plasic pieces and reassembled the gutted solenoid.

What I ended up with is a fancy vacuum bend / unused wire holder combination.

Oh Yeah... the High Performance part. I ordered a edelbrock catalog several months ago and the catalog they sent me came with stickers. I put one on the solenoid figuring it should be worth about 10 more horsepower.

David

[Modified by GATOR454, 1:05 PM 3/29/2004]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Performance TCS