C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad balancer? should it ALWAYS cause vibration in neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 10:59 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default bad balancer? should it ALWAYS cause vibration in neutral?

I'm stumped :banghead: (what else is new?) I have a vibration while travelling down the road. It gets more intense from 50-70. It seems to be a a speed related to drive shaft rather than wheels. When I slightly decelerate in gear, it goes away. More intense on accel, still there while coasting in gear. I have all new ujoints and new differential and now a new tranny mount. Motor mounts are 1 year old. I tried rotating the drive shaft at the tranny yoke, 180 degrees. What else is left? The balancer? If the balancer is bad, should the vibration show up when I rev it in park? It doesn't. Could the balancer still be bad? Thanks for any help. The vibration was there before I replaced the diff, but I'm not sure if it worsened or not. The gear howl is gone along with the binding clutch plates
Thanks for any help.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:37 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Location: Ville de la Baie Quebec. A winner is just a loser who tried again.
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: bad balancer? should it ALWAYS cause vibration in neutral? (isosceles)

Sometimes old u joints needs shims to keep them in the center... just a thougth , good luck :steering:
Old 03-27-2004, 02:46 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: bad balancer? should it ALWAYS cause vibration in neutral? (isosceles)

I almost hate to say this, but a remote possibility is that you may have garbaged the main bearings. Which is not a very good condition but also carries similar characteristics that you described.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:05 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar vibration on a 71 that I fought for quite a while. It turned out to be a bent rim and a Goodyear tire that was out of round by about 1/4". Whwn I had the tires trued and spun balanced on the car ...problem solved.

Get notified of new replies

To bad balancer? should it ALWAYS cause vibration in neutral?

Quick Reply: bad balancer? should it ALWAYS cause vibration in neutral?