C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 Corvette Drivers Side Door Latch! HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Lippy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1978 Corvette Drivers Side Door Latch! HELP!!!!

Hi, purchased a 78 corvette, and now cannot open drivers side door, from outside or inside. What is my next move? Had latch replaced two months ago, but did not change clips. Now i have the clips to use. Does it sound as though clips may have come loose or broken? Please help, if ever had this problem. I will attempt to do this, if anyone thinks it could be possible for a rookie. Can i still get to this from inside, and maybe release door to open? Please help if you have any advise. JIM

412-384-6322 lippyscollectables@juno.com

PS. anyone also know why my temp gauge and also oil pressure gauge quit working after i had cd player installed? Could they possibly have something off, loose or broken? any way to check, before buying everything? Loose wire, ground, or circuit board? thanks, JIM

any one from around the Pittsburgh area, that could help or know of someone that could? thanks :steering:
Old 03-25-2004, 10:47 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: 1978 Corvette Drivers Side Door Latch! HELP!!!! (Lippy)

Roll the window down. With a long slim rod or screw driver push down on a little square tab along the edge of the latch. This will release the door even if it is locked. You more than likely need to readjust the push linkage from the handle. If it is not exactly right, the door will not open after being locked.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:09 AM
Lippy
Advanced

Default Re: 1978 Corvette Drivers Side Door Latch! HELP!!!! (Ed T)

ed: i got your picture, but what is it exactly you are showing me? how to release door, or is this where clips are? I really appreciate your help, JIM

412-384-6322 :steering:
Old 03-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

a long pair of needle nose pliers will work as well...
Old 03-26-2004, 09:22 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Only problem ,Ed, is, that lever will not open the door if it is locked. The tab that I am refering to is just a little lower and is very short. I think that you can see it in your second picture.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:07 AM
John2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, your problem may be a broken spring on the door latch. This might work...put the window down, unlock the door with the key,(clockwise) get a thin long shaft screwdriver or something like a welding rod and bend the end into an"L" shape. Inside the door back towards the jam you will see a flat piece of metal that come to a point on one side...take the screwdriver or welding rod and push that piece of metal down(it slides in a track) you should now be able to open the door.

Good luck,

John
Old 03-26-2004, 12:26 PM
john V. zemba
Instructor

If you installed the cd I would look for a wire you may have unplugged by accident of where you tied into the fuse box a blown fuse or a wire off, check behind the guages they may have pulled a wire off. on the door the pics are good on my 78 one of the clips that held the arm came off allowing the rod to come out
Old 03-26-2004, 12:28 PM
john V. zemba
Instructor

I am just south of you about 45 minutes, if you need help on a weekend contact me, this weekend isnt good.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Lippy
Advanced

Default Re: 1978 Corvette Drivers Side Door Latch! HELP!!!! (john V. zemba)

John: where exactly are u from? I live by Elizabeth. 15 miles south of Pittsburgh. Give me a hollar!
412-384-6322 I am very new to this, but love the car. As a freind of mine said, i better learn a little or else i will pay alot. It is hard to find someone that actually knows what they are doing. Thanks, JIM :party:

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 Corvette Drivers Side Door Latch! HELP!!!!

Quick Reply: 1978 Corvette Drivers Side Door Latch! HELP!!!!