C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COMP Extreme Energy or Magnum?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 09:25 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default COMP Extreme Energy or Magnum?

It appears the Extreme Energy line from COMP is the most popular but what about the Magnum line? Is it old technology? Are they still good cams? How do the two lines compare to each other besides the obvious single pattern vs dual pattern?
Old 03-25-2004, 09:38 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: COMP Extreme Energy or Magnum? (nastee383)

I have had two Magnum cams and I like them alot bit for my new 406 I am going to try an Extreme Energy solid roller because the duration is going to be right up there and they say this line makes more vaccum. :D
Old 03-25-2004, 10:20 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: COMP Extreme Energy or Magnum? (MotorHead)

The Magnum's are bit much for daily / street driving. Go with the Extreme Energy series. They usually have a split lift/duration style that gives a little more help to the exhaust side.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:28 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

The Comp Magnums I recall are mostly single pattern cams and single patterns work better/more effective on low compression motors . Single pattern cams are more effective at lower duration (<270*) too but Magnums are mostly higher duration cams. :lol:
I'd say the edge for a cam with duration longer than 270* would go to the Extreme Energy. Exspecialy with stock like heads that need the greater exhaust duration for cyl blow down. :rolleyes:
Old 03-26-2004, 04:33 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: COMP Extreme Energy or Magnum? (cardo0)

For what it's worth I just got one of the solid XE's for my smallblock- the Comp Cams tech simply stated that it's a newer design & I'd like it better. :cheers:

[Modified by Les, 1:33 AM 3/26/2004]
Old 03-26-2004, 08:41 AM
SpyderD
Pro

Default Re: COMP Extreme Energy or Magnum? (cardo0)

The Comp Magnums I recall are mostly single pattern cams and single patterns work better/more effective on low compression motors . Single pattern cams are more effective at lower duration (<270*) too but Magnums are mostly higher duration cams. :lol:
I'd say the edge for a cam with duration longer than 270* would go to the Extreme Energy. Exspecialy with stock like heads that need the greater exhaust duration for cyl blow down. :rolleyes:
I am not sure that is entirely accurate. I beleive the magnum series of cams is more effective on high compression cams that are borderline streetable because the compression will be bled off by the duration. The extreme energy with the split duration however will be more effective with low compression engines (depending on the duration selected) but will not work as well on very high compression engines because the dynamic compression ratio will not decrease as much. During my engine build with 10.7 compression, the comp cam techs suggested a magnum 280 rather than the extreme energy equivalent for that very reason. It's a good match for that compression, I would certainly not recommend a 280 for a low compression engine. All else being equal, with moderate compression and stock heads, the extreme energy series sounds like your best bet.

[Modified by SpyderD, 1:43 PM 3/26/2004]
Old 03-26-2004, 09:15 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

My understanding of the XE series is that they have steeper flanks than the old Magnum grinds in an effort to bridge the gap between the old hydraulics and the new roller cam designs. I flattened my first XE-274 in 2000 miles,a feat I'd never done before,so I guess the ramps are more agressive. I now run the XE-284 with 1.60 rockers and love it,though I toy with the idea of a solid lifter grind next go around.

In answer to the question,definately use current grinds. They're light years ahead of the old technology. :yesnod:
Old 03-26-2004, 09:49 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Default Re: COMP Extreme Energy or Magnum? (The Money Pit)

My question is why even use a CC?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:57 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Well let me get a bit more specific. Feel free to dissect this combo and tell me what you feel is right or wrong with it.
383SBC, 10:1 compression, Canfield 200's ported and bowl blended, COMP Magnum 286 hydraulic roller (230@.050 .598 lift w/1.6 rockers), Performer RPM Air Gap, Childs and Albert ZGS gapless moly rings.
I hope its not too screwed up because it's already being built! :eek:
Old 03-26-2004, 10:25 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Well let me get a bit more specific. Feel free to dissect this combo and tell me what you feel is right or wrong with it.
383SBC, 10:1 compression, Canfield 200's ported and bowl blended, COMP Magnum 286 hydraulic roller (230@.050 .598 lift w/1.6 rockers), Performer RPM Air Gap, Childs and Albert ZGS gapless moly rings.
I hope its not too screwed up because it's already being built! :eek:
Not screwed up, just you said nothing about eng mods or using a roller before. And with that cam your compression looks good or even a little low. :crazy: That hyd roller has reduced over lap compared to a flat tappet. Nothing to dissect here, all great parts that should work well together. Just not really a normal street engine - a little rough and high idle with low vacuum. But should make some good power.

BTW Vizard, Yunick, Lingenfelter promote dual pattern cams for high compressions and only Vizard promotes single pattern cams for low compression engines. Single pattern cams are(were ?) cheaper to manufacture. :conehead

Get notified of new replies

To COMP Extreme Energy or Magnum?

Quick Reply: COMP Extreme Energy or Magnum?