C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 ignition key interlock/lockout? lever on column inside engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 06:13 PM
EricU
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 69 ignition key interlock/lockout? lever on column inside engine compartment

I have a 4-speed 69 convertible and there is a lever on the steering column located inside the engine compartment that in one position does not allow the ignition key to be removed. I was told that it is supposed to be connected to the transmission somehow.

I am getting ready to install my Keisler 5-spd and would like to know how and what to, that I am supposed to hook the lever up to.

Thanks for any help.

Eric.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:33 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 69 ignition key interlock/lockout? lever on column inside engine compartment (EricU)

that lever is used for autos, not manuals.

after my 5speed install, i simplyed bubba-it into the up/unlock position

chad
Old 03-25-2004, 06:47 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 69 ignition key interlock/lockout? lever on column inside engine compartment (EricU)

In '69, that lever connected to a transmission "back drive" cable that was hooked to the reverse gear shift arm on the transmission. It required that the car be in reverse in order to remove the key from the ignition. You can just lock the lever in the released position to allow you to remove the key. I don't think there would be any way to rig the back drive cable to the Keisler shifter.

Shannon
Old 03-25-2004, 06:54 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 69 ignition key interlock/lockout? lever on column inside engine compartment (71'AirStrike)

that lever is used for autos, not manuals.

after my 5speed install, i simplyed bubba-it into the up/unlock position

chad
No. That's wrong.... The reverse lock is used used for manuals too. On automatics it locks in park. I have the original one on my 69 L-36 4 speed/ It is shown in the GM assembly manual as well as other manuals. It's called the back drive cable. the cable connects to the lever on the column and the other end goes to the reverse arm on the transmission. These cable were troublesome and often removed (especially if the car was stolen at one time in its life). It Locks the steering wheel also so it was dis-connected when thieves got to the car. At one time these cars were the Number 1 stolen car and everybody wanted the famous Covette engines and other goodies for their hot rods of the day. Nothing like saying you had a corvette engine in you 57 Chevy... Open the hood and show off you "corvette" valve covers.

[Modified by bluevetteman, 6:56 PM 3/25/2004]

[Modified by bluevetteman, 6:57 PM 3/25/2004]
Old 03-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: 69 ignition key interlock/lockout? lever on column inside engine compartment (71'AirStrike)

The following paper has the history and theory behind the General Motors transmission/steering column backdrive system.
http://www.corvettefaq.com/redir.asp?site=372

Since you will need to cobble a switch for your backup lights, it might be possible to cobble the backdrive cable to your transmission as well.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:09 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 69 ignition key interlock/lockout? lever on column inside engine compartment (Jim Shea)

Since you will need to cobble a switch for your backup lights, it might be possible to cobble the backdrive cable to your transmission as well.
Nope. The Tremec's swich is electronic and internal to the tranny. Just put it into the 'up' position as stated above.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:12 PM
pra4sun
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was always wondering how this worked. I noticed that it was disconnected in my car, so I connected it. Then, I couldn't remove they key! I quickly disconnected it.

I wonder if anybody actually has this hooked up and functional on their 4 speeds?

Get notified of new replies

To 69 ignition key interlock/lockout? lever on column inside engine compartment

Quick Reply: 69 ignition key interlock/lockout? lever on column inside engine compartment