C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supertrap for Sidepipes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 01:25 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supertrap for Sidepipes?

Does anyone know if theres a possibility to use Supertrapmufflers with Sidepipes? :smash: :cheers:
Old 03-25-2004, 01:41 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Supertrap for Sidepipes? (BB wowbagger)

BBG it can be done , like most anything else a little ingenuity goes a loooo ng way . I am surprised you donot see more members using them here . I have run them on a number of different applications and a real appreciation for the tunable feature . They are commonly used here for dirt car racing where noise is a factor at certain tracks . If you run an 800+hp sprinter or dirt car with them they will certainly do the job on a vette . I am installing a set on my car later this spring ,,,,,,,,,,

geo
Old 03-25-2004, 01:49 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

The Question is just if theres a system that would work if you install the inside the tube.I dont want them to be visable.. :cheers:
Old 03-25-2004, 02:09 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

as long as you can get 4" diameter Traps, and find a way to secure then in the pipes, maybe in the collectors, you're in business.

I'm wondering why invent the wheel? Why not use spirals? About as efficient as you can get
Old 03-25-2004, 02:46 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

I`ve used a homemade version of the spirals and the Inspection guys would laugh me out of the building if i would show up with them on my vette.I need something just a little bit more quit but dont rob me out of to much power.. :crazy: :smash:
Old 03-25-2004, 02:54 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

It would not be a real problem to fit them inside a 4 inch tube , machine some billet aluminum inserts to support the super trapp ,,,,,,,,,pretty simple operation !!!

geo
Old 03-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem is that the supertraps need to direct the exhaust out the slits in the side. If you put them inside a tube, the flow will only be whatever the area is between the supertrap discs and the inside of the tube. So unless you go with a 5" tube it would probably be very restrictive.

For official testing purposes you could take the JCL spiral baffles, truly the best, and using an additional end cap, perhaps the one tac welded to the engine side, tac weld it to a 3.75" round disc and attact it to the back of the baffle. This would greatly reduce the sound, look permanent, and get you past the inspectors. Go back home, remove the plate and make some real power.

Chuck
Old 03-25-2004, 05:18 PM
aharte
Drifting

Default Re: Supertrap for Sidepipes? (Chuck Harmon)

The problem is that the supertraps need to direct the exhaust out the slits in the side.
There are open end caps available. I have them on my car, but I imagine they wouldn't flow too well without the slits also open.

And supertrapps are quiet!?

Get notified of new replies

To Supertrap for Sidepipes?

Quick Reply: Supertrap for Sidepipes?