C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vendor comparison:1 REALLY good.. the other...you decide

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 09:58 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default vendor comparison:1 REALLY good.. the other...you decide

I found out when I pulled the old diff that my side yokes were also shot. Dan at Van Steel had a rebuilt diff ready for me to pick up when he promised, new side yokes already installed! Dan answered any questions I had regarding the installation and gave me a few tips.
I got careless replacing Ujoints and bent a 1/2 shaft flange. I phoned Dan about 1pm on Thursday and asked him to send me a replacement, and if possible, install a ujoint in it. I know I was cutting the time close, so I asked him to try to get it shipped out even if he didn't have time to install the Ujoint. The part arrived the next day (no extra freight charge either, reg UPS within the state delivers overnight) WITH the Ujoint installed. Thanks Dan!
While installing the strut rods, one nut stripped. I found a replacement castle nut at Lowes, but it is not hardened. Since I have to work Wed-Fri long hours, I ordered a replacment nut from Ecklers on Sunday via web. I'll be racing in the Corvette Challenge they sponsor and I'd like to throw a little business their way too. Their shipping chart shows 1 day ground service in FL. I also added a blower motor resistor, both parts barely weigh 1 lb. It is now Thursday and I still don't have the parts. I found out that my parts got shipped on Wednesday, and went out POST OFFICE :eek: . I paid $8.74 shipping for that too when the postage calculator on the USPS website zip to zip shows a retail cost of 2.96. I didn't mind paying that much if I would have received the parts overnight. I guess I should have ordered by phone, maybe I would have been notified that I would not have received the parts for 5 days. I figured if I did the order by web on Sunday that it would have a better chance of going out on Monday.

My lesson learned: Buy ALL of your Vette parts, groceries, anything you can from Van Steel! :thumbs:
Old 03-25-2004, 10:23 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: vendor comparison:1 REALLY good.. the other...you decide (isosceles)

My lesson learned: Buy ALL of your Vette parts, groceries, anything you can from Van Steel!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:lolg: Thanks Mark. :thumbs:
Old 03-25-2004, 11:05 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: vendor comparison:1 REALLY good.. the other...you decide (isosceles)

My lesson learned: Buy ALL of your Vette parts, groceries, anything you can from Van Steel!
:iagree:
I've always been extremely happy with Van Steel, and Dan is the #1 reason!!
Old 03-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: vendor comparison:1 REALLY good.. the other...you decide (79VetteMike)

I've always been extremely happy with Van Steel, and Dan is the #1 reason!!
Cool.... :withstupid:

[Modified by Scooter70, 1:58 PM 3/25/2004]
Old 03-25-2004, 02:04 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good post, no vendor dicing, present the facts...the way these posts should be written.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:14 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: vendor comparison:1 REALLY good.. the other...you decide (Scooter70)

I have not had the good fortune yet to make a purchase with Van Steel yet. They are very nice people, met them last year at BMP. I hear nothing but good about them. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: But I think it was your falt Ecklers did not perform for you. You should have called them first thing Monday morning and express your urgency for the part. "COMMON SENSE"...You realize your order is not the only one being processed via computer :smash: and figure they process them in the order they where recieved. So figure they close sometime Saturday afternoon and you computed your order sometime Sunday and they recieved orders WORLDWIDE via "THE WEB". All you had to do is call Monday AM and tell them you need this "OUT TODAY UPS" (I think with a small additional $$ for orders out same day).and you would have had it Tuesday. I NEVER order anything fax, email, phone message, or anything of that nature. I have to speak to a LIVE PERSON. Not taking ANYTHING from Van Steel.

[Modified by lotahp, 2:16 PM 3/25/2004]
Old 03-25-2004, 02:17 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Default Re: vendor comparison:1 REALLY good.. the other...you decide (lotahp)

Mark. :seeya
Old 03-25-2004, 02:27 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Mark, I once worked for a large company (picking orders) in Manhattan that ships worldwide, so I have an idea how some of the companys operate. I'm an optician and when I would place a frame order by fax, god knows how long it will sit at the fax until someone is freed up to go over there and check on the orders. Where if I call the order in, it starts going through the "motions" as soon as I hang up. :thumbs: "LIVE & LEARN"... NEVER place an order with a fax, answering machine, computer, or whatever other devices there are other than an operater/order taker.

[Modified by lotahp, 2:29 PM 3/25/2004]
Old 03-25-2004, 02:36 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: vendor comparison:1 REALLY good.. the other...you decide (lotahp)

Yup Norm, that's why I tried not to just completely rant on about Ecklers and just present the facts. There are 2 sides to every story.
I like to document things through email and written orders, that's why I did the web order. When I saw the part of the website indicating 1 day service to all parts of FL, I assumed (yup, I know, don't assume) I'd get it the next day. Who knows, maybe I'll get those parts today, which would mean they did travel overnight since they were just shipped yesterday. I guess Van Steel's service spoiled me. :D
Old 03-25-2004, 10:49 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I'd have to give Ecklers a fair chance to make things happen. If you had got'n a voice confirmation and a stated promise for shipping time it could have saved you. Ecklers has always come through for me and made up for any mistakes. I'm still glad thier in this business. :D

Get notified of new replies

To vendor comparison:1 REALLY good.. the other...you decide

Quick Reply: vendor comparison:1 REALLY good.. the other...you decide