C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEI DIST. SWAP ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 12:09 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HEI DIST. SWAP ?

what do i need to do to change FROM big cap HEI w/coil , to small cap
w/ ext. coil, Thanks
Old 03-25-2004, 10:41 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: HEI DIST. SWAP ? (comp)

well, going to small cap you will loose vacuum and mechanical advance. Those were made to connect to a computer that controlled the advance through the module in the small cap distributor.

But, if you want to, here is what you need to do. I had to swap to a small cap when I went to my computer controlled fuel injection.

Install small cap HEI distributor, and mount remote coil. There is a 2 pin connector that goes from the coil to the HEI that you need get and install. On the other side of the remote coil is another 2 pin connector. The + of that connector goes to the "Batt" that went into the old coil. The - then connects to the "Tach" signal that went into the old coil.
I had to remove my tach filter to get my tach to work correctly. Try yours out first and see if it works. Mine would rev to 2K rpm, and then start working backward. On the distributor there is a 4 pin connector that you need to connect to the computer control.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:52 PM
comp
Team Owner

Default Re: HEI DIST. SWAP ? (BSeery)

Hmmmm OK does MSD have a ignition box i could use?? then UP grade to
fuel injection later ??? OR should i what till then ???? your 2 cents Thanks
Old 03-25-2004, 10:14 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: HEI DIST. SWAP ? (comp)

Hmmmm OK does MSD have a ignition box i could use?? then UP grade to
fuel injection later ??? OR should i what till then ???? your 2 cents Thanks
Nope - those distributors are computer controlled only.

If you want a smaller cap, and HEI performance, just get a distributor from MSD or Accell. Most of them have older "points" style distributors that have new solid state electronics on the inside. Just look around at http://www.summitracing.com or http://www.jegs.com.

Pertronix makes a unit for about $220.00 -- http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=PNX%2DD100700
Old 03-25-2004, 11:08 PM
comp
Team Owner

Default Re: HEI DIST. SWAP ? (BSeery)

Thanks for info, my best bet is to probably just what till i change over, i thought i might get a head start on things, you know ease into all the Techno
:lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

Get notified of new replies

To HEI DIST. SWAP ?

Quick Reply: HEI DIST. SWAP ?