C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric door locks, fix or go mechanical? General questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 06:23 AM
pik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electric door locks, fix or go mechanical? General questions.

I have started work on my door locks, one of the things that is confusing me is that there appears to be all the mechanical linkages inside the door to operate the locks without the electric motors. It looks like if I disconnect the motor, and replace the door locks and pawls with mechanical ones the locks would operate mechanically. Anyone do this?
I checked the contacts on the doorlock motor, I have no continuity thru the contacts. I checked my spare door lock motors and they have continuity so I am pretty sure the motor is fried.
Are there any relays in the doorlock circuits? It looks to me that the motor is grounded thru the door, is this correct? Does the lock operate by sending 12VDC to either side of the contacts & thru the door frame, or is it one circuit and the polarity is reversed?
Thanks for any help.
By the way, which contacts (of the five pins)should make when the door lock switch is operated.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:16 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Electric door locks, fix or go mechanical? General questions. (pik)

All you have to do is remove the power door lock actuators and the system will work fine as mechanical door locks. It's that simple. I did this to the passenger side, vowing to replace the actuator "someday."

With regards to the wiring questions, I strongly recommend you find a GM shop manual. Try searching for "1979 Corvette Shop Manual" on ebay.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:05 PM
pik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Electric door locks, fix or go mechanical? General questions. (pik)

I presume this is a no go, but is there a code/number on the door locks that I could give to a gm dealer who could then make me a new key?

Get notified of new replies

To Electric door locks, fix or go mechanical? General questions.

Quick Reply: Electric door locks, fix or go mechanical? General questions.