C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking noise from left front side

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 11:50 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking noise from left front side

On the way to work I actually had the radio off and heard a creaking upon deceleration/ acceleration or going over bumps and it scared the shiznit out of me. on cali-1 I had the left upper A-arm loosen and loose all but one shim and a 3" crack on the frame from the shock of the A-arm stopping from braking and slamming against the frame. Well I checked her out when I got home. Checked over everything and could find nada. Well when lowering the car it made that sound again and with another jack I lifted the left suspension with the entire car lifted and found when I cut the springs upon full expansion the spring has some play and upon compression it reseats into the upper pocket. thank God I didn't cut it lower like I wanted to achieve 26.5" with the spring coller situated 1/2 way up the threads then it would be jumping all over the palce hitting and binding with the shock. It seems okay because even when upon full expansion there is quite alot of stress on the spring. I mean I cannot budge it with my BF Screwdriver.

I still believe the springs are not applicable for this car and a set of smaller diameter springs of greater length would make up for this issue and provide both desired ride height anf firmness in the pockets versus these F-550 truck springs I'm using.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:39 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Creaking noise from left front side (Cali,68,L-79)

Cali, you are using these coilovers right? http://www.speeddirect.com/index.aspx?nodeID=70
Were you running the progressive rate springs that the kit comes with or did you use your own springs?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:43 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Creaking noise from left front side (lostpatrolman)

The entire kit came from Speed Direct that's what puzzles me so.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:18 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Creaking noise from left front side (Cali,68,L-79)

[Modified by lostpatrolman, 8:19 PM 3/25/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Creaking noise from left front side

Quick Reply: Creaking noise from left front side