C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VBP Spreader Bar doesn't fit - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 07:39 PM
kenko74
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VBP Spreader Bar doesn't fit - suggestions?

Got my spreader bar today (with un-welded brackets), but it sits too high (or my engine sits too low) by about 1/4" so it doesn't fit under the water pump pulley. There's enough horizontal room between the water pump and fan, but the pulley diameter is a bit too large for the spreader bar to fit evenly between the upper A-arm braces. Anyone else have this problem? I have A/C, and perhaps the water pump pulley is larger than the non-A/C cars??? Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe all I need is an A-arm bracket that will bolt on and be 1/2" lower on each end so I can weld the tie-rod end brackets to it about 1/2" lower. :confused:

[Modified by kenko74, 5:31 PM 3/23/2004]
Old 03-23-2004, 07:49 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: VBP Spreader Bar doesn't fit - suggestions? (kenko74)

Kinda off topic, but can you post a pic of how the bar attaches to the car?

thanks
Old 03-23-2004, 08:31 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

I have the VB&P welded spreader bar since I have electric fans. My brackets are over the top of the forward A-arm mount nut. It must not be a big issue if the bracket isn't centered between the A-arm attachment hardware.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:35 PM
kenko74
Racer

Default Re: VBP Spreader Bar doesn't fit - suggestions? (1979toy)

Correct. The tie rod ends are positioned (fore-aft) to sit in the space between the water pump and the fan (each year is slightly different, that's why VBP sells the kit unwelded), and then those tie rod end brackets are welded to the plate that bolts on the upper A-arm pivot. My problem is I need to lower the spreader bar about a 1/2", so I think I need a 1/2 wider A-arm plate...
Old 03-24-2004, 08:30 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Mine was a bolt on I got at the Carlisle show,and I don't run an engine driven fan,but there's a ton of room around the pulley area as you can see here. Maybe you got the wrong part.

I noticed mine is mounted with the bar towards the front,but due to the fan I see you tried to mount it towards the rear.Is there a different fan clutch that would put the fan deeper into the shroud?
That way you could mount the bar like mine.
[Modified by The Money Pit, 8:31 AM 3/24/2004]

[Modified by The Money Pit, 8:39 AM 3/24/2004]
Old 03-24-2004, 11:27 AM
American Boy
Pro

You are the first one that I see that try to install a spreader bar on a car with a mecanical fan. All others were electrical fan. So I thought it was impossible to install with a mec. fan. Let us know how it goes. I don't want to install an electrical but would love to have the spreader bar. There must be a way. :yesnod:

Stephan
Old 03-24-2004, 12:06 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: VBP Spreader Bar doesn't fit - suggestions? (American Boy)

Hi

I wouldn't have any broblems mounting this bar on my 427 CI engine because my fixed fan was mounted on an extension piece without a clutch.
But I installed electric fans and took this fixed fan off.
I ordred the VBP bar unwelded and will weld it in such a way that I could reinstall the fixed fan if I decide so.

I think making up a larger A-arm bracket and lowering the bar 1/2 inch shouldn't harm this issue as long as the A-arm bracket is strong enough for not to flex under load.

Good luck. Gunther :seeya
Old 03-24-2004, 12:11 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

There was someone who made custom brackets like you mentioned. I've got the photos saved at home and could post them tomorrow night. I can't tell you why he offset them though...

Old 03-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm........that's interesting. I'm having the same issue with the spreader bar I received from Guldstrand. I've been thinking about a wider plate, or talking to a fabricator for other ideas. I haven't called Guldstrand yet to ask for tech support.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:19 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: VBP Spreader Bar doesn't fit - suggestions? (The Money Pit)

Money Pit,
What difference did you notice after the installation?
Old 03-24-2004, 09:44 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: VBP Spreader Bar doesn't fit - suggestions? (jpatrick636)

I made my own brackets to be sure I could get the clearance at the pulley. A friend of mine just put one on his 75 last week with the weld together kit, but his pulley is tapered like mine, not straight like the one pictured. Here are some pics of mine. Craig

Old 03-24-2004, 10:46 PM
kenko74
Racer

Default Re: VBP Spreader Bar doesn't fit - suggestions? (CF6873)

Craig,
Those brackets are brilliant! :thumbs:

What process did you use to get the fore-aft alignment correct before welding? Did you hook everything up and mark the spots to be welded with a grease pencil or something?

Lastly, I've heard that it's a good idea to fill that 1/16" air gap between the bracket and the A-arm pivot bar, as that's a flex zone. Did you do this? If so, how?
Old 03-25-2004, 08:46 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: VBP Spreader Bar doesn't fit - suggestions? (jpatrick636)

To be honest the car has 550 lb springs and poly bushings,so handling was tight to begin with. The only difference I noticed is the front end feels more solid if you hit a bump in the road. It seems to stiffen the chassis,but had little effect on the handling.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:29 AM
kenko74
Racer

Default Re: VBP Spreader Bar doesn't fit - suggestions? (The Money Pit)

I'm not adding the speader bar for handling--I'm adding it to save my life!

If it hasn't already, your lower frame crossmember is goiing to have a weld failure. Check and make repair welds to the front crossmember lower plate, especially around the lower A-arm pivot bar bracket. I know it's a PIA to get that area properly cleaned and prepped to accept the weld, but that's where all C-3 frames start getting stress fractures due to flexing, and due to the limited spot welding practice used at the factory. When the front lower suspension rips off the frame (and I believe all C-3's as they age will experience this), it could kill you. Afterwards, add a spreader bar between the upper A-arms (available from Vette Brakes for $79), to prevent future flexing and future fractures. Chevy should have installed these bars at the factory--poor design. I thought my car was in perfect shape, no visible frame rust anywhere, until this happened to me:

Old 03-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I guess dumb luck was on my side for once. I have electrical fans on mine so when I installed mine it was on in about 30-45 minutes. I noticed it really tightened my whole car up. Probably most likely due to the fact it is a convertible.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=252&TopicID=3
Old 03-25-2004, 03:49 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: VBP Spreader Bar doesn't fit - suggestions? (Eddie 70)

Is it possible your engine mounts are a little worn and the engine is sagging? Just a thought.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:45 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Kenko, Thanks for the compliment. I actually help the tabs in place with duct tape until I had it positioned properly. Then I marked them with a crayon for welding. I didn't know what to use for a spacer for the air gap that would not fall out. The gap has collapsed and I just turned the heims out a little. Good Luck with yours. Craig

Get notified of new replies

To VBP Spreader Bar doesn't fit - suggestions?

Old 03-30-2004, 12:48 AM
Ozzie71
Instructor

Hi kenko74. I am a new guy to the forum and a C3 novice trying to gather as much info as possible. I purchased a 71 vert a few months back and I'm still trying to figure the best plan for the restification.
I find the damage in your photo quite shocking. My vehicle doesn't look anywhere near as good as yours underneath!!! I wonder if I am just around the corner from a major episode???
I was wondering if any other forum members had experienced similar failures?????
cheers
Mick
Old 03-30-2004, 09:49 AM
kenko74
Racer

Default Re: VBP Spreader Bar doesn't fit - suggestions? (Ozzie71)

Ozzie,
Yes,
Several Forum members have experienced this. It's a design flaw that affects every one of our C-3's. I had no visible rust anywhere on my frame. The stress cracks start inside the crossmember, under the brackets (where you can't see) holding the lower A-arm supports. Best to have that area thoroughly cleaned and welded up for strength, then get a spreader bar to prevent future cracking by preventing to lower crossmember frame flex. Some claim an added benefit of the spreader bar is better handling. Of note, the VBP spreader bar stock bracket doesn't quite fit some C-3's with stock pully mounted fans. I have a new bracket design being built for me that should work with every C-3, I'll post a pic and drawing of it later this week....
Old 03-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Ozzie71
Instructor

Thanks for the heads up kenko. :lurk: :lurk: :lurk:
I'm looking forward to the pics.
If I am going to fab up brackets, I might buy all the parts and make a complete unit. :smash: might even save a few $$$
cheers
Mick

Quick Reply: VBP Spreader Bar doesn't fit - suggestions?