C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im painting the whole car over

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 07:26 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Im painting the whole car over

well you saw i panted the rear clip for the flare installation and it came out pretty good so i wetsanded everything so i could buff it this week.Well ive never been happy with the hood lining up to the nose and edges of the fenders so i figured i better do it now then after im done bufffing just in case something happens. :rolleyes: Well i loosened up the nose where the bumper supports bolt back to the frame and put a jack under the vacuum bar and put slight pressure up on it and raised it some then retightened everything back up and it really looked good i adjusted the hood some and everything really looked decent .Till i walked over to drivers side and there was a crack going up the fender through where the stingray emblem would be.Funny thing is i must be really getting older cause afew years ago i wouldve broke everything in the garage just to make me feel better.But i refrained took a big sigh and started grinding and repairing .To be honest i was gone to do this next winter anyway.Sometimes i really think God doesnt like me or hes testing me, yeah thats it, hes testing me.Well shes all back apart everythings off the car except the door handles which we all know what thats like ,thats tomorrows project and its all sanded, little chips repaired and ill be ready to shoot next week.Im not gone to do it this weekend cause im thinking of something alittle different this time,maybe some kind of stripe deal with the hood. :confused:Any ideas? Then my wife comes home and says Oh i signed you up for a car show in july i hope youll have the car done by then.Good thing i do all my own work. Ok i think i said enough i need a nice warm shower.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:34 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Im painting the whole car over (patsnitrovette)

You've had a string of bad luck lately. A warm shower, a few beers and a few hours way from the Corvette will put things in perspective. Then...start all over again with a new view on the situation tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:37 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pat

I feel for ya brother but things happen for a reason, guess it was time to paint the whole car. It is funny how the little things will send you into a giant :mad :cuss :cry but sometimes you just deal with the big stuff like it is nothing. At least it happened before cruising season got into full swing.

As far as a paint scheme you might paint the sides of your cowl then run another stripe up the middle off it.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:40 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Im painting the whole car over (Fevre)

Wish I could do all the stuff you can do! :)
Old 03-23-2004, 07:46 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Im painting the whole car over (OHSIXX)

Wish I could do all the stuff you can do! :)
:iagree: Good luck Pat. We will be checking in for progress. Keep us updated.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:00 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That sucks Pat. Hope you get it fixed in time for the show. What show did she enter you in?
Old 03-23-2004, 08:02 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Pat, i'm thinking electron blue with white stripes in the same scheme as Lasse's car.. :cool: :cool: :thumbs:
Old 03-23-2004, 08:17 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Im painting the whole car over (Redshark6974)

Al,the one at story book land,only 150 cars can enter.
redshark,i was actually thinking something like that with the same color as lasses stripes,but not sure yet.Im looking at pictures now trying to get ideas.
Chris i see you got your car running. :thumbs:
I wish i had a l-88 hood or a stinger hood cause its easier to do something with that.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.....Till i walked over to drivers side and there was a crack going up the fender through where the stingray emblem would be.Funny thing is i must be really getting older cause a few years ago i wouldve broke everything in the garage just to make me feel better.
I know how you feel Pat :yesnod: . Last year when my old 350 ate another lobe on it's second cam in 4 months, I was very tempted to take the sledge hammer in the corner of the garage and put it right through the windshield :lol:
Old 03-23-2004, 09:05 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Best thing to do at this point is walk out and deal with it later.. if you rush it, bad things can and do happen!
Old 03-23-2004, 09:19 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Any ideas?
yep,

House of Kolor kandy urethane over your existing color. I'm gonna use oriental blue over my existing medium quasar blue. Cobalt blue would also be a good choice. Use glow blue mix in clear to do some gost flames off the front that'll glow in the dark. Flames that otherwise would be barely detectable in the sunlight.

I think that would be unique and very cool. I might even try it on mine. I also plan the kosmic blue pearl in the mix. Haven't decided if i'm gonna do pearl coats first then kandy or kandy then pearl or just mix the two. Plan at least 4-6 coats of clear over the whole thing.

Whatever you decide to do, could you start a thread on the paint job so the rest of us home painters can learn from you?

Old 03-23-2004, 09:22 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Sucks what happened, but at least in the end you'll be happier with the car.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:59 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Re: Im painting the whole car over (turtlevette)

Any ideas?

yep,

House of Kolor kandy urethane over your existing color. I'm gonna use oriental blue over my existing medium quasar blue. Cobalt blue would also be a good choice. Use glow blue mix in clear to do some gost flames off the front that'll glow in the dark. Flames that otherwise would be barely detectable in the sunlight.

I think that would be unique and very cool. I might even try it on mine. I also plan the kosmic blue pearl in the mix. Haven't decided if i'm gonna do pearl coats first then kandy or kandy then pearl or just mix the two. Plan at least 4-6 coats of clear over the whole thing.

Whatever you decide to do, could you start a thread on the paint job so the rest of us home painters can learn from you?
I did basically the same process to my daily driver (00 jetta) I two toned it, black and red, then hit with some house of kolor kandy red, mixed with some orange pearl..sprayed over top of both colors..laid some clear...came out awesome..especially under lights at night.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:50 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Wow Pat, way to go. I think I would have left it when I saw the crack and vented (after a few beers) on the forum. haha. Gladto hear you stuck with it.
-terry
Old 03-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Im painting the whole car over (terryrudy)

hey Pat, if you need a hand, lemme know. I'm on break this week and itchin to work on some glass :smash:
Old 03-24-2004, 08:07 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't know storybook land had a show. I'll have to check it out.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:14 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Im painting the whole car over (paul67)

A warm shower, a few beers and a few hours way from the Corvette will put things in perspective. Then...start all over again with a new view on the situation tomorrow.
A few HOURS in the sack with the wife coupled with the above will do wonders for your attitude! :eek: :smash: :D

Get notified of new replies

To Im painting the whole car over

Old 03-24-2004, 12:03 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Im painting the whole car over (Silvr77)

ouch!
that sucks but the car is gonna be a killer when your done!
:smash: :chevy
Old 03-24-2004, 12:43 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Im painting the whole car over (stingraymaniac)

I dunno Pat, I wooddaa toss a wench or two, and said hell with it...... :D

GENE
Old 03-24-2004, 01:15 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Im painting the whole car over (mrvette)

Yeah gene i usually do,my wife gets mad at me for breaking things just to blow off some anger. :D Yeah i know ill be happier with it when its done,just a minor set back right now.

Quick Reply: Im painting the whole car over