C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to adjust the convertable top frame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 07:14 AM
JBR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust the convertable top frame?

first of all I want to thank everyone for thier comments and advice on the top material itself. Now I need advice on the metal frame itself. The rear part needs adjustment. The passenger side rear hold down post is moved all the way with a wooden shim under it to help it align with the receiver in the deck. It works but real Bubba job. Also with the windows up and you shut the passenge door the glass hits the vinyl, so the frame needs to be moved backwards. :cheers:
Old 03-23-2004, 07:34 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How to adjust the convertable top frame? (JBR)

Hi

Adjustment is done where the top frames mount to the door sideposts.
Here you have up/down & fwd/aft adjustment . Just loosen the bolt and push/pull the frame assy.
After adjustment of myne, the aft bow also was out of reach of the deck lid pin holes and the only way to get this correct, was to bent the aft bow's angle attachments near the door posts.
Make sure, the top frames are adjusted 100% correctly B4 installing the Canvas. This includes top to window adjustment. Don't forget, that you can also adjust the door windshields if so required.

Good luck. Gunther :seeya
Old 03-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I adjusted my frame with the top off. I also had to bend/tweak my rear bow to get a perfect fit. I think the top was too tight and actually twisted the bow when it got real cold and the material contracted. When I do it again, I'll completely disassemble it, put on decent paint and re-adjust. On a side note, the RH door glass threw me off when I was adjusting the top frame. Turns out it was tipped foreward a bit and it gave me fits.

Hans
Old 03-23-2004, 09:43 PM
griffths
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,

I just finished removing an old top from a convertible frame recently purchased to replace the one on my car. To make a long story short, I had a new top put on my car last year and when I went to pick it up the guy at the shop tells me "oh ya, your frame is not in very good condition and is bent" OK, well why didn't you tell me that BEFORE you put on the new top...Oh well. Anyway on with the question. How can I tell if the new frame is any better than the one presently on my car? Is there some part of the frame that most often gets bent or some way to measure angles / distances between two points?

Thanks

Jay
Old 03-23-2004, 09:58 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: How to adjust the convertable top frame? (griffths)

The frames have to be adjusted to each car. If you have a new one (well made), it should be a piece of cake. Used, it's a crap shoot. Rust in the header, bad tack strips, worn pivots (lack of lubrication), bent bows, and so on... I tried to adjust mine a little after the top was on and got wrinkles, sags and wind noise. I went back to basics and settled for a little bit off on the front bow for now.

As to condition, the front bow is very thin and any dents or rust are bad, but generally doesn't bend. Center bows get bent from stuff on top (snow?), and the rear tends to warp (lift) on the corners over time. I'd set the rear and front bows on with the existing top stowed to check the fit.

Hans

[Modified by Wrencher, 7:03 PM 3/23/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To How to adjust the convertable top frame?

Quick Reply: How to adjust the convertable top frame?