C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can heat be the cuase of intermitant no start problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:53 PM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can heat be the cuase of intermitant no start problem?

OK, i posted late last week about my 77's intermittant ( as in once every two weeks so far) no start problem. I has deduced that the car only does this after a 4000 RPM run commute home from work. Recently we've had alot of tropical rain here ( i use the word tropical for the satte bureau of tourism)and it left my rear bushings dry as a bone. What say the battery ground wire or even the engine ground wire got very wet as well and have some corrosion. Yet, i think heat is a major player, case in point after last friday evenings drive home the vette failed to start or even turn over. Two hours later she was fine. Two weeks ago saw the same thing. Both times heat from a long commuter drive
Old 03-22-2004, 10:12 PM
jacobsed
Racer

Default Re: Can heat be the cuase of intermitant no start problem? (sharkthehunter77)

I had a short in my 79 that did this very same thing. It was in the factory antitheft wiring. Diconnected it and all is good. Oh, there was one in the clock also, had to disconnect that too. A vette shop figured it all out. At first I thought it was heat because of the intermitent nature but it wasn't. And lived with the problem for 2 years trying all kinds of heat related fixes. Starter shield, starter wiring, cleaning all the grounding straps....blah blah blah. I got a Lincoln that says its a short.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:17 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

Default Re: Can heat be the cuase of intermitant no start problem? (sharkthehunter77)

Problem most likely due to heat soak of the starter solenoid. There
should be a heat shield near the solenoid. Make sure it is there. When
it has happened to me, I have replaced the starter and the problem was
solved.
Can often just replace the solenoid especially if your starter is
not that old.

Can also try wrapping the starter and solenoid with a heat blanket sold
by major performance stores like Summit and Jegs.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:24 PM
jacobsed
Racer

Default Re: Can heat be the cuase of intermitant no start problem? (mark79,80)

I did that too. Still had the intermitent problem.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

how old is your starter? mine is old and does the same thing. I plan on changing it as soon as funds allow it.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:31 PM
jacobsed
Racer

Default Re: Can heat be the cuase of intermitant no start problem? (Aflac)

I had put in a new starter trying to get rid of the intermitent starting problem. No luck. I now have a perfectly good used starter on the shelf.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If when you turn the key you get nothing then make sure your starter solenoid is getting battery voltage when you turn the key. This signal also goes through your clutch switch. Electrical resistance of wires generally increases with heat, if you have dirty contacts on your switches or electrical connectors in this path then hot wires may increase resistance to the point where the solenoid does not get enough power to pull in.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:46 PM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can eliminate heat as the problem real fast. I used to bracket race a 68 Nova and the headers were close to the starter, after a few time trial runs the starter would fail from heat soak. I would take a can of water, douse the starter and she would fire right back up. I did this for 2 years before I replaced the starter.

Get notified of new replies

To Can heat be the cuase of intermitant no start problem?

Quick Reply: Can heat be the cuase of intermitant no start problem?