C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Front wheel rubs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 04:04 PM
chucks00
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III & VI Veteran

Default One Front wheel rubs.

Just put new tires and rims on my 78 and the front drivers side wheel rubs. Went from 15X81/2 to 17x8 rims and 225/70/15 to 255/50/17. After looking at the wheel on the drivers side is not centered in the wheelwell. the other side clears fine. Is this normal and can it be adjusted??
Old 03-23-2004, 12:11 AM
enforcer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: One Front wheel rubs. (Chucks87)

Was it centered before the wheel/tire change?
Old 03-23-2004, 01:48 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

My right front rubs a bit at full lock. Left side is fine. I suppose this is another example of the custom, handbuilt, not very exact assembly process that makes each of our vehicles "special". :lolg: :lolg:

Assuming the wheels and tires are matched and do not have any manufacturing "defects", then I would suspect that either the car has been hit and the body repaired not quite straight, frame/suspension is bent or somehow damaged, or it has just been this way from day one and was never noticed with the smaller wheels/tires.

Good Luck!

:seeya
Old 03-23-2004, 03:43 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: One Front wheel rubs. (enforcer)

Was it centered before the wheel/tire change?
:iagree:
Was your Vette ever wrecked and then repaired? :smash:
Old 03-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Boofers
Drifting

I put new wheels (17x8 with 4" backspace) and tires (235/55-17) on my vette shortly after I bought it. I found that the drivers side tire rubs on the frame when I turn to the extreme left. Passenger side is fine. As far as I know the car has never been in any accidents. There have been other threads on this subject and seems we are not alone...
Old 03-23-2004, 02:05 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Where is the tire rubbing ? ...

edge of the fender opening, or the frame/inner fender ?

Most C3s I've seen have a rub on the frame area near the steering box.
My 75 rubbed the edge right off of the splash panel that bolts up behind the
bottom of the wheel well.

:seeya
Old 03-23-2004, 02:22 PM
chucks00
Safety Car

Cruise-In III & VI Veteran

Default Re: One Front wheel rubs. (NHvette)

It rubs on the front inner fender. Right were the front spoiler is.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:43 PM
IRON WILL
Instructor

My front drivers side tire rubs on the upper part of the fender. The fender was repaired by a previous owner and you can see they didn't do the best job. I wish I had noticed before I repainted the car. I guess its good that the paint didn't come out that great and needs to be done again. Now I can fix the problem. The passenger side is real close to rubbing the fender in the same spot but it isn't as bad as the drivers side. You hit a bump or a dip hard enough you can smell burning rubber. I think if a put some fender flares on this next time and custom mold them it to look right I should have no problems in the front and have no need to buy new rims or spacers.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:09 PM
kenko74
Racer

Not to scare you, but my right side started rubbing and upon further inspection...

If this is happening to you, be sure to weld the front crossmember lower plate, especially around the lower A-arm pivot bar bracket. I know it's a PIA to get that area properly cleaned and prepped to accept the weld, but that's where all C-3 frames start getting stress fractures due to flexing, and due to the limited spot welding practice used at the factory. When the front lower suspension rips off the frame (and I believe all C-3's as they age will experience this), it could kill you. Afterwards, add a spreader bar between the upper A-arms (available from Vette Brakes for $79), to prevent future flexing and future fractures. Chevy should have installed these bars at the factory--poor design. I thought my car was in perfect shape, no visible frame rust anywhere, until this happened to me. :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To One Front wheel rubs.

Quick Reply: One Front wheel rubs.