C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here is running hedman headers??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Who here is running hedman headers??

I am thinking of replacing my Dynomax headers with some Hedman's with the D ports for the ZZ4. I am wondering what part numbers work with the ZZ4 in a vette, and also what does everyone here think about Hedman headers.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:24 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Who here is running hedman headers?? (Sigforty)

i had hedmans first and then went to dynomax...hedmans were great..dynomax i think are better....I have no dyno or 1/4 mile result differences but the dynomaxes feel like they make more power.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:20 PM
L82-JWS
Racer

Hedmen Part number 68309....for D port heads. I have these headers in my 79 with ZZ4. Bought from JET HOT direct. You can also buy freom Summit or Jegs, plain or with the Hedmen ceramic coating.
BTW, headers fit very nice, no issues. :cool:
Old 03-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Who here is running hedman headers?? (L82-JWS)

I have them, and they fit great, but the the Hedman ceramic coating sucks in my opinion. It started to rust after less than a year :mad . Let me know if you want to sell those dynomax's, since the Hedman's won't work with my new Canfield heads :cheers:
Old 03-22-2004, 06:12 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Who here is running hedman headers?? (Ryan77)

I have'em. Easy to install (if you go at it from the bottom) and you still have good ground clearance. I bought my painted but have since had the Jet-Hotted. One suggestion, get a good set of header gaskets (I used Earls) and a good set of collector gaskets (I used Percys)
Old 03-22-2004, 08:24 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Who here is running hedman headers?? (theandies)

The gaskets they come with are pure junk, do yourself a facour and do as theandies suggests. Mine are the painted ones they provided a significant perf. improvemnt over the 69 style sidepipes I had on before them. I also installed Ultraflow mufflers at the same time.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:32 PM
lyndave75
Instructor

I am using hedmans and am not impressed at all. On the right side it hits the idler arm and they hang down way too low. My car sits quite low in the front (cut 1 coil) and now I can't go anywhere there is speed bumps and even a dip in the road at high speed has the sparks flying causing the collecter gasket to leak quite often. Hedmans may work for some, but I will never buy them again! :smash:
Old 03-22-2004, 09:13 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My set of hedman headers on my bigblock are about 14 years old. They fit really well and other then gasket leaks which I fixed they have never caused a problem.
They have been wrapped for at least 10 years and so far no burn outs
Old 03-22-2004, 10:26 PM
surfolly
Advanced

Default Re: Who here is running hedman headers?? (munday)

I've been researching the ZZ4 and headers for my 1980 and maybe you can help me figure it out. I have a set of cermacoat Dynomax headers that fit beautifully when I test-fitted them with the "smog"350 that I later pulled out, and I've been considering purchasing a ZZ430 motor with the D-port Fastburn heads. Here's what I've been told from various suppliers and manufacturers. Please tell me if your experience (which I value most) proves otherwise.

Dynomax Headers - One source says they won't fit the D-port heads, others say yes they will - however these headers won't fit angle plug (fastburn) heads.

Hooker headers standard port headers will fit D-ports and angle plugs - but the coated headers are $529.00 from Jegs!

Heddman - will fit D-port heads, but according to Heddman footnotes, "Will not fit steering damper".

I'd love to hear if someone has a pair of Dynomax headers that have fit D-port angle plug heads so I can end this search. I need to get a life!! I would appreciate any help! :conehead
Old 03-23-2004, 01:09 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a pair of slightly used hedmans with the factory coating, after 3 years the finish is still clean and defect free...these headers do come very close to the idler arm - i dimpled the tube very slightly to provide clearance.

Difference between Hedman and Dynomax, minimal probably, though dynomax may come closer to true equal length (when i say closer I mean by and inch or so) on the street the difference is probably Less than zero.

Get notified of new replies

To Who here is running hedman headers??

Quick Reply: Who here is running hedman headers??