C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new convertable top.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:53 AM
JBR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new convertable top.

Where would be the best place to buy a new convertable top for my 75? :cheers:
Old 03-22-2004, 10:03 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: new convertable top. (JBR)

Al Knoch. Are you going to install it yourself?
Old 03-22-2004, 10:08 AM
JBR
Racer

Default Re: new convertable top. (markdtn)

I have read some of articles on the installation. and the answer is no. I'm getting quotes as we speak. Q1 $712.00 all included. Q2 $550.00 plus top. Q3 $400.00 + and I buy the top. :cheers:
Old 03-22-2004, 10:49 AM
JBR
Racer

I just got off the phone with a shop, his qoute was $250.00 labor and $275.00 for the top. He said he uses ( electron or robins) tops, He says they are the best. Has anyone ever heard of them?
Old 03-22-2004, 01:25 PM
fjetb
Racer

Here's their site. A local installer here told me they had the best tops and best fit...it looks like they cater to the auto upholstery market. http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/ :)
Old 03-22-2004, 01:45 PM
thebruce
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

JBR-

You should consider installing it yourself unless money is no object. I was surprised at how simple the process was, and how good the finished product looked. It doesn't require any special tools, and the information available on the forum (to include pictures) of others' installation jobs should make it a snap. I put mine on about eight years ago, so I don't have any pics I can share, unfortunately.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
the Bruce
Old 03-22-2004, 02:13 PM
hudman
Racer

Default Re: new convertable top. (thebruce)

Some of the installers I talked with mentioned both of these brands as well. If I remember correctly, they were expensive.

Any idea how much a Robbins or Electron top costs?
Old 03-22-2004, 02:26 PM
JBR
Racer

Default Re: new convertable top. (hudman)

The one installer who had the best price, quoted $275.00 for thr top (electron or robbins). I've done more research now. and found neither electron or robbins include the pads,straps, wire on and chrome tips. Yet Al Knoch does at $178.00 also Al knoch uses 40 oz. material where others use 36 oz, :cheers:
Old 03-22-2004, 02:33 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

If you want original quality and fit..go with an Al Knoch. :thumbs: I just got a white one with the original wash tag for my 69..hopefully install this weekend.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: new convertable top. (Redshark6974)

There is a business called Sully's Tops in Clovis, CA (see his ads in various Corvette magazines.) Sully's makes and stocks many roadster parts, you may want to look this guy up and ask his opinion. He makes re-production top frames for sharks and mid-year Vettes and repair parts for the same.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:07 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Convertible...e/AHC-122/6208

I'd install it myself.. I installed a couple of tops on my C3 Verts.... It's not too difficult.. It can be done in about 4 - 5 hours...
Old 03-22-2004, 08:47 PM
71vert
Instructor

I found the last detail corvette parts has the best price and quick delivery, they use Al Knoch and it comes with intructions , I installed 3 new tops on the last 1-1/2 its not too bad a job.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I highly recommend Al Knoch for a top. Great, detailed instructions, outstanding quality and the pads/straps. I liked my original straps better (his were just nylon webbing - very nice but not original looking and mine were fine). I did it myself with the help of an upholstery/top guy, but he had never done one like mine. We did it in one day, but I would NOT do it that way next time. When I took the old one off, I found all the tack strips were junk, the front header bow was rusted, and none of the weatherstrips were re-usable! Lucky for me, my blushing bride was willing to make three (!) trips to Corvette Express for the parts and they actually had them! So I'd budget two days for this; one to remove it and restore the frame and the other to install the new one. It wasn't hard, just time consuming. I got my top on sale for $148.00, so I figured if I messed up, big deal! I say go for it, you care more about the car than anyone. I have some bad pictures :D if you want them.

Hans
Old 03-22-2004, 09:19 PM
hudman
Racer

Default Re: new convertable top. (Wrencher)

I got my Al Knoch top last week. I was only inquiring because the local shops swear by the Electron tops. Can't beat the price, and everyone loves the Knoch top.

I would recommend calling around A LOT. I found a huge variation in the labor cost. Keep checking.

I visited with the lowest quote on Friday and he is a small one man shop that has been doing upholstery and tops for many years. He is just in a neighboring smaller town. I am going with him.

Now if I just had a harmonic balancer on the car. . . .

Get notified of new replies

To new convertable top.

Quick Reply: new convertable top.