C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Flange vs. Cylinder Head Exhaust Ports - Proper Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 08:51 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Header Flange vs. Cylinder Head Exhaust Ports - Proper Gaskets

I have an exhaust leak on my small block at the exhaust ports.

I am able to nearly eliminate it with a change of exhaust gaskets but it comes back.

I started with the copper exhaust gaskets that have the 'O' shape since that is the shape of the header pipes. The gaskets developed leaks around the center two ports on both heads. They did last the longest (nearly two years). I removed them once and reinstalled them so that I could have the headers re-coated by Jet-Hot. I suspect that even though they are 'reusable', removal is not a good idea and may have contributed to their leaks.

I swapped the copper out and went with the OEM-style gaskets that came with my Fel-Pro gasket set (paper/metal embossed) and they blew out a week ago after lasting about a month.

I'm about ready to return to the copper gaskets; but doubling them on both sides to gain some thickness.

I'm not crazy about paper gaskets for obvious reasons (they crumble and are not reusable).

I'm open to suggestions.

Oh, the copper gaskets are from Mr Gasket.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Header Flange vs. Cylinder Head Exhaust Ports - Proper Gaskets (TedH)

Ted, give thees Earl's a try, they have worked great for me, they have soft graphite inserts that are reusable and replaceable:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...57#largerimage

BTW They make diff sizes (3 I think) so get that one that is closed to your ex port size. You can also trim them to fit you exact port size. I actually bought the replacements that are solid them trimmed them to fit my heads.

[Modified by Fevre, 9:03 AM 3/22/2004]
Old 03-22-2004, 09:07 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Header Flange vs. Cylinder Head Exhaust Ports - Proper Gaskets (TedH)

When headers get old they warp, I cut my flanges and it seemed to help. I used a Sawzall but a hack saw would do. One cut between cylinders 1&3, 5&7,2&4 and 6&8... ...redvetracr
Old 03-22-2004, 09:10 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Header Flange vs. Cylinder Head Exhaust Ports - Proper Gaskets (Fevre)

Order placed at Summit. $36.99 + S/H

Thx for the info! :seeya
Old 03-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:cool:, just be gentle with them as there are soft and will crease/break if bent, don't ask me how I know. :) They can also fall out of the alum bracket so be a aware of that. But once you get them on and torq em to 20 then seal great. :thumbs:
Old 03-22-2004, 10:31 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had similar problems with my bigblock. Header gaskets soon developed leaks and they sound like a bad lifter.
I took each header off, put it in a vise with the header flange facing up. I then used a straight edge and grinder to try flattening the surface. There was definitely high spots, which I removed.
I then cut the flange in pieces. Cut from the back side and not quite all the way through.
After that I used cheap paper gaskets and SILICON sealant around the ports.
It has been years and never a problem agian even with the cheap gaskets.

[Modified by norvalwilhelm, 10:25 AM 3/22/2004]
Old 03-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Header Flange vs. Cylinder Head Exhaust Ports - Proper Gaskets (norvalwilhelm)

instead of cutting all the way through the flanges, grind a groove in them but not all the way through, that should help a bit.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:37 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Header Flange vs. Cylinder Head Exhaust Ports - Proper Gaskets (Twin_Turbo)

Cutting the flanges does work, or so I'm told.

It's too bad the cheapo manufactures don't just pay the extra 3cents and use thicker, like 3/8" flanges, and eliminate those horrible 'o-ring' flanges, no more problem.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Cutting the flange does work. Make sure you use the proper gasket as the oval port gaskets will leak on round ports. I put a little High heat coper gasket silicon which helps. Good luck
Old 03-22-2004, 01:35 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Ted I know that your ordered those others, but I have had very good luck with FelPro D port blue steel head gaskets. They work great. No double gaskets and never a blowout after years of reusing them.

I also use the ARP exhaust header studs with the small nuts to clear the large pipes.

IMO - studs are the only way to go. I also use a dab of Permatex red high temp to glue each nut in place so they never rotate. If your bolts or nuts ever become loose is when the hot exhaust gases tear the gaskets apart.

These are my 12 year old headers after i had them recoated last year

Get notified of new replies

To Header Flange vs. Cylinder Head Exhaust Ports - Proper Gaskets

Quick Reply: Header Flange vs. Cylinder Head Exhaust Ports - Proper Gaskets