C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water temp gauge indication wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 08:31 AM
jetmech
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Water temp gauge indication wrong?

Bought a 79 to tinker with. The engine has apparently been overhauled because the temp sending unit was on the passenger side head and wiring had been jumpered to the opposite side of car. Moved the temp sender to the drivers side head (another story, another time) put a new connector on original wiring and hooked up. Now temp gauge reads high. I can use an infared thermometer to see water temp at the thermostat outlet. Gauge will read 240 and water temp at the outlet is 180 to 185. I did not use teflon tape on sender. BTW the gauge did not work at all when I got the car. There was a 38 ohm resistor in the wiring they had jumpered over to the passenger side but wire was broke off at the resistor. I E the non working gauge. Could there be resistance in the gauge cluster? Or could it be a bad temp sensor. I installed an electric fan and it is cycling like it should. Thought I would see if anyone else has run up against this type of problem.

:crazy:
Old 03-22-2004, 08:46 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Water temp gauge indication wrong? (jetmech)

I had similar problems on my 69 - bought the correct sender from Lectric Limited, and everything straightened out.

Quick Reply: Water temp gauge indication wrong?