C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with AC installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 08:12 AM
bhmyers
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with AC installation

I bought a new compressor, new control swith,(the one with the rollers on the side). What else do I need to replace to have cold air? The fan doesnt come on, so Im guess I may need a new fan as well. Is there any other electrical parts going from the control swith to the fan motor? what controls the speeds of the fan? I know I need to replace some more AC parts as well, but Im not sure which ones. Any help would be great.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:32 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Need help with AC installation (bhmyers)

The fan gets power as follows: On high there is a small wire that trips a relay to apply battery power to the fan. On low, power goes through the switch, then through the biggest resistor on the outside box, then to the fan through the un-tripped fan relay. On medium-low, power goes through the switch, then through the middle-sized resistor on the outside box, then to the fan through the un-tripped fan relay. On medium-high, power goes through the switch, then through the smallest resistor on the outside box, then to the fan through the un-tripped fan relay. If a resistor burns out, no fan. Relay problems- you may get high only, or 3 lowest speeds only. Switch problems-no fan or intermitant. Grounding issues can be troublesome to the fan and to the relay.

[Modified by markdtn, 9:34 AM 3/22/2004]

Quick Reply: Need help with AC installation