C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pump leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 10:51 PM
guitar308
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump leak

i installed a new fuel pump about a month ago. ive always smelled a hint of gas, but now i jacked it up and see that the fuel pump is leaking at the connection. its leaking where the fuel pump bracket meets the engine block. any suggestions on how to fix this? i replaced both gaskets when i replaced the fuel pump. any help would be welcomed. thanks
Old 03-21-2004, 11:06 PM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: fuel pump leak (guitar308)

I would take that pump back and get another one. The gaskets are for sealing the mating surfaces from leaking engine oil. It sounds like the pump may be defective. You may also be getting gas into your crankcase oil.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:12 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

i installed a new fuel pump about a month ago. ive always smelled a hint of gas, but now i jacked it up and see that the fuel pump is leaking at the connection. its leaking where the fuel pump bracket meets the engine block. any suggestions on how to fix this? i replaced both gaskets when i replaced the fuel pump. any help would be welcomed. thanks
Well those block gaskets keep the oil back in the engine Mr. 308. The fuel could be coming from the pump or connection fitting or even all the way from the carb fitting and drippin down along fuel line to that pump. Old/crackeed fuel supply and /or return hoses can leak too. Try tying on some rags and looking for source - after cleaning and drying the area first. :lol:
Old 03-22-2004, 08:31 PM
guitar308
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: fuel pump leak (cardo0)

i think i found the problem, after jacking my car up and looking at the fuel pump i saw that the gausket that connects the fuel pump to the bracket was very misaligned. would this cause a leak. thanks.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:59 PM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Someone please step in if I'm wrong here...........I think if the gasket were a problem you would have an oil leak. Only if the pump diaphram was ruptured would you have gas getting into that area.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I'd be looking at the oil as well... if the pump is leaking into the block, it's a bad pump...
Old 03-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Default Re: fuel pump leak (Aflac)

There is a diaphram in the pump that can get a hole in it. In most cases the pump will not work but in rare cases it will function ok but put fuel into the engine . This means your oil is contaminated too. HOWEVER I belive you have a leak at one of the fittings and the fuel is just running down to the lowest point. Overtightening can even crack the housing making the leak even harder to find. Remove the fittings and clean everthing very good and then use som teflon tape.Also replace the rubber hose if it is old and feels hard. I have seen hoses leak through the meterial itself.

Get notified of new replies

To fuel pump leak

Quick Reply: fuel pump leak