C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing windshield in my 69

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Removing windshield in my 69 (Cool427shark)

Yep, pull the thick weather stripping out of the pillar and you will see the screws. No reason why the windshield should break... unless you drop it. Get some picture hanging wire and push it through the tacky gasket around the windshield frame. Now pull the wire back and forth (sawing motion) and work you way around the windshield. USE GLOVES and it will not hurt your hands. Should take about 15mins to work your to the bottom of both sides. Then with a helper, peel the windshield forward and PRESTO... windshield is out. Might I suggest finding a safe place to "store" it before you remove it... GOOD LUCK... be patient! :hurray:

.... also if you like... put some paint sticks(you know.. the flat mixing sticks) between the gasket material you just passed with the wire... it will prevent it from sticking again....
Old 03-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

what the.... posts are flipped????
Old 03-22-2004, 07:50 AM
RS69
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Removing windshield in my 69

Well, I am at the time in my project to remove the windshield. I am doing this now, so I should have the car back on the road late May. I need to remove the windshield to check/repair if needed the windshield frame.

My car is a convertible and I have the top chrome trim, interior header removed. I have an AIM guide but seeking advice to remove the side chrome molding. What holds this trim on? I heard there are screws underneath? Do I need to pull the weather-stripping off the pillars to remove the windshield molding? This is the last two pieces of trim I need to remove. I still need to remove the wipers and try to remove the windshield.

I was called around to several shops to remove the windshield and they quoted me $150 with no promise of breaking the windshield. I have pulled several windshields in the past with luck. If I break this one, Safelite Auto glass quoted me $210 for a new installed one.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

[Modified by Cool427shark, 7:05 PM 3/22/2004]
Old 03-22-2004, 08:04 PM
RS69
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Removing windshield in my 69 (Mr.Gearhead)

Thanks for the input. What type of sealent did you use when you re-installed the windshield? I checked with NAPA and they had 3 or 4 different types.

Thanks,
Rick

[Modified by Cool427shark, 7:08 PM 3/22/2004]
Old 03-31-2004, 12:49 PM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

The best gasket is the one where you use the activator to set it off. You have a little time to position the w/s in place. I have seen gaskets that "instantly" stick and this can be challenging to get the proper positioning. Any w/s installer has this activator and gaskets material. Usually they sell to the public. Have fun... :cheers:
Old 03-31-2004, 01:19 PM
Cor6996vette
Racer

Default Re: Removing windshield in my 69 (Mr.Gearhead)

My car is a convertible and I have the top chrome trim, interior header removed. I have an AIM guide but seeking advice to remove the side chrome molding. What holds this trim on? I heard there are screws underneath? Do I need to pull the weather-stripping off the pillars to remove the windshield molding? This is the last two pieces of trim I need to remove. I still need to remove the wipers and try to remove the windshield.

For the side alluminum molding removal there are three or four screws under the weather strip, If you look closely at the middle of the weather strip there is a small precut slot the size that fit the screw driver and that where the screw is. Put a screw driver into it and try to feel the screw driver bites into the head of the screw and unscrew it .
Hope it help and not confusing you with my writting.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing windshield in my 69

Quick Reply: Removing windshield in my 69