C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear adjustable strut installation steps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 10:13 PM
Ybnormal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rear adjustable strut installation steps?

With the rear of the car on jack stands when installing the rear struts can I just support the trailing arm with a jack and pull the old struts out and put the new ones on? Or is there more to it? Any advice would be appreciated. Also it there a certain length I need to adjust them, or just compare them to the old ones until I can get to the alignment shop? :confused:

YBnormal...drive a vette
Old 03-21-2004, 10:25 PM
John92LT1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Rear adjustable strut installation steps? (Ybnormal)

That is what I did. There were only two problems:
1. Getting the old one off. After weeks with of trying & cussing, I eventually resorted to a cutting torch on the old rod. The inner bushing of it was quite permanently attached to the shock mount area!
2. Lining everything up to allow reassembly. I tried connecting either end first, and was never able to line things up to complete the assembly. Luckily, after much more agony, my brother in law showed up, told me I was stupid (like I already knew that, right?), and he left everything quite loose while fitting it back, and proceeded to bolt it up fine.

I used the "eyeball" method to get the length close, before the 2 mile drive to the alignment shop.

Have fun!

Quick Reply: Rear adjustable strut installation steps?