C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing arm alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 07:12 PM
lou
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailing arm alignment?

Installed new trailing arms and the old shims don't come close to the new shim kit that I have. The old shim were much wider because of worn out bushings. Does anyone know the basic shim set up for new trailing arms to get me close before I take it to the alignment shop. Thanks , L ou
Old 03-21-2004, 10:04 PM
Ybnormal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Trailing arm alignment? (lou)

Lou, had the same situation when I rebuilt mine. I basically set mine up with equil shims on either side and kept the extra shims to take to the allignment shop. I haven't had it alligned yet so I don't know how close setting it up like that will be, but should be in the ball park. Maybe someone that has done this will chime in and let us know. :lurk:

YBnormal...drive a vette
Old 03-21-2004, 10:57 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Trailing arm alignment? (lou)

This is crude but it gets you really close. The spring is disconnected because you are working on the trailing arms. Set them on a block of wood so they are about ride height. Install the lug nuts, tighten but not really tight just hold the rotor on.
I use a lazer level , under $35. to project each rotor onto the front tire. Get them both roughly even.
If you can find anthing about 3 feet long that is straight clamp it to the bottom of the rotors , one on each side and measure with a ruler the toe, front and back.
With these simple things you can roughly but get close to setting the trailing arms to point straight ahead and set toe at the same time.
Work carefully, the accuracy depends on you.
When you take it too an alignment shop it is simple for them to fine tune.

I get carried away and bolt these plate, one to each side
Double click to enlarge

[Modified by norvalwilhelm, 9:59 PM 3/21/2004]
The following users liked this post:
JimmyC1967 (02-05-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing arm alignment?

Quick Reply: Trailing arm alignment?