C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could my frame be bent?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 12:24 AM
killervette666
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Could my frame be bent?

Our car was in accident in the fall of last year, and after it we decided to store the vette in the garage until it gets warm enough to start fixing it. So today we finally decided to drive it around for a bit after taking off the front clip and fender skirts and por-15 ing the bumper supports over winter. But i noticed last week that the wheels were horibly misaligned at the front, we starting driving it around today and the rubber was actually squeeling because of the toe in, so we jacked it up and tried to do an aligment our selves, we got rid of the squeel but it still veers, im pretty sure if we get a shop to align itll go straight but can the frame itself be bent? After the accident the only visible damage was the right fender was torn off, and the bumper on the right was bent but it seeemed that everything else was straight, any way to check for sure?
Old 03-21-2004, 12:53 AM
geezer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Could my frame be bent? (killervette666)

Take a measurement from the center if the RR wheel and the center of the RF wheel. Then do the LR & LF. Try to be as accurate as possible to get the centers of each wheel. Instead of an actual number, try making a gauge out of a wooden stick or EMT conduit that will have on each end another stick or rod that would touch the centers. Clamp these gauges to the stick or conduit. (Note: If you pull the dust caps off the fronts there will be a center hole from the machining of the spindle and I believe there is a similar center hole on the back axles.) Then use this gauge to check the other side and compare.
If they're off by more than a 1/2", it's frame shop time.

Be sure to check all the other front suspention parts for damage.
Tie rods, tie rod links, center link. Check for bent pieces.
Upper and lower A-frames. Again check for bent or twisted parts.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Could my frame be bent?