C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C condenser??? Body about to come off frame. radiator?, what fun that was!

Old 03-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Bill Oxley
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C condenser??? Body about to come off frame. radiator?, what fun that was!

Well, I’ve been restoring old cars for many years. Amazingly, I’ve never had a resto project before with air conditioning.

So here I am, removing the radiator out of my yellow 74, (gosh, that was fun!) and this dxxx a/c condenser is in my way all of the time.

Now, I’m only just getting a good start on this project, but with the body about to come off the frame, this darn condenser thing has to come off. It’s in my way!!!!!!!

So help me with what that does, good or bad.

I’m assuming disconnecting the connection at the condenser “discharges” the system. So if that is the case, does that hurt anything in the short run?, or how about the long run? (I guess I will be polluting the O-zone)

Or, when I get it back up and running, do I just get the system “recharged”? Of course, that’s assuming it works now. Seems to work ok, but hard to tell when outside temps are only around 50 degrees. But don’t know for sure.

Anyway, any guidance in this area would be much appreciated.

Old 03-20-2004, 10:26 PM
72rdstr
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: A/C condenser??? Body about to come off frame. radiator?, what fun that was! (Bill Oxley)

Unless you're planning on switching to R-134, get someone with a portable unit to scavenge your system for you.
It's not the ozone layer, it's the cost of replacing all that freon later that will really suprise you. :yesnod:

[Modified by 72rdstr, 8:26 PM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-21-2004, 12:25 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: A/C condenser??? Body about to come off frame. radiator?, what fun that was! (72rdstr)

Once you open the system up it needs to be put on a machine to that creates a vacuum and takes all the moisture out (evac'd). It would also be a good idea to flush the system with an A/C cleaner and replace all the hose seals.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:03 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: A/C condenser??? Body about to come off frame. radiator?, what fun that was! (lostpatrolman)

When I lifted my body I left the A/C intacked. I straped the compresser to the wheel well/fender. There was enough slack in the hoses to allow me to pull the rad support forward enough to remove the radiator (which I have done several times before). I did have the hood off and I pulled the headlamp vac cans to get more room. If you decide to disconnect the lines you will need to replace the VIR/drier when you want to recharge the system. I would suggest you get some plugs to cap off everything in the mean time so nothing gets contaminated. R-12 is going for over $60/lb and it holds about 3 1/4lbs.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C condenser??? Body about to come off frame. radiator?, what fun that was!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C condenser??? Body about to come off frame. radiator?, what fun that was!