C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Harmonic Balancer completely let go and now can spin freely-any other damage done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 09:15 PM
hudman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Harmonic Balancer completely let go and now can spin freely-any other damage done?

Today I was returning home from a very brief cruise and while accelerating mildly in 3rd I heard a pop. It sounded almost like something let go in the suspension. Since I wasn't sure what it was but was a couple of miles from home, I proceeded home cautiously listening for strange noises. I heard a few, but nothing too catastrophic, so I proceeded on home. When I got it in the driveway, I shut it down and I could really hear the clanking. I popped the hood and quickly noticed that the outer ring of the balancer had come completely separated from the inner piece. There is no sign of any of the rubber at all that once was between these two pieces. It now spins freely and can move back and forth several inches between the timing cover and the lower pulley.

Obviously, I need a new balancer.

Is it common for one to let go in this fashion? I mean, there was no warning at all.

Also, do you think that I could have done any damage to the crank or bearings with the balancer clanking around down there for a few miles (no high RPM's). I got 1500 miles on this motor, so I hope I have not put a hurting on the bearings. I know it has put some nice marks on my new timing cover.

Chris69 has offered to help me fix it. Looks like the car is going to be parked a while because I do not have time to fix it right now.

I am going with a stock type model and not the FluidDamper or anything. Should I go with a GM or some other brand?
Old 03-20-2004, 09:27 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Re: My Harmonic Balancer completely let go and now can spin freely-any other damage done? (hudman)

that happened to me once. Its not going to do much damage at all for the short time you drove it. Just don't drive it until you replace it.

Old 03-20-2004, 09:31 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: My Harmonic Balancer

that happened to me once. Its not going to do much damage at all for the short time you drove it. Just don't drive it until you replace it.
had that happen on the daily driver, drove a week without any adverse affects
Old 03-20-2004, 09:36 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Re: My Harmonic Balancer (GDaina)

, drove a week without any adverse affects
i pulled the outer ring off and drove the vette to work for a couple of months before i got around to replacing it............but i've got a lot of bubba in me.

Wouldn't chance it with a new engine.

Old 03-20-2004, 10:14 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: My Harmonic Balancer (turtlevette)

Replacing the balancer is really a pretty easy job, shouldn't take more than a couple hours even if you're as pokey about it as I was when I did it.

BTW, Hudman, if you want the homemade tool I used to draw the new balancer on, I'd be happy to send it on. I don't forsee needing it again. Definitely easier on the new balancer than banging it on with a hammer.

JB
Old 03-20-2004, 10:25 PM
hudman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My Harmonic Balancer (JB)

Thanks JB. AutoZone has the puller and installer here that can be used. It is right down the road. You don't even have to buy the part from them!

Which dampner did you use when you changed yours?
Old 03-21-2004, 12:47 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: My Harmonic Balancer (hudman)

This one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2468522464

It was cheap and virtually identical to the original. Fits and works perfectly. There's a guy who will rebuild your original for you, and my intention is to send mine to him when I get around to it and switch them out.

JB

Get notified of new replies

To My Harmonic Balancer completely let go and now can spin freely-any other damage done?

Quick Reply: My Harmonic Balancer completely let go and now can spin freely-any other damage done?